FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Bug#608253: Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:34:23 +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:

> # <para>
> # Upgrades from Lenny will not automatically install Xen version 4.0. Instead
> # you need to install Xen 4.0 and a corresponding dom0 kernel explicitly. See
> # the wiki page for instructions on how to set up the Xen hypervisor and dom0
> # kernel under Squeeze.
> # </para>

Is this actually true? Don't the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-*
metapackages take care of this upgrade?

Cheers,
Julien
 
Old 01-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Justin B Rye
 
Default Bug#608253: Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

Julien Cristau wrote:
>> # Upgrades from Lenny will not automatically install Xen version 4.0. Instead
>> # you need to install Xen 4.0 and a corresponding dom0 kernel explicitly. See
>> # the wiki page for instructions on how to set up the Xen hypervisor and dom0
>> # kernel under Squeeze.
>
> Is this actually true? Don't the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-*
> metapackages take care of this upgrade?

I Am Not A Xenologist, but see

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xen

There's no such package in Lenny; its equivalent was the old
xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-* metapackage (pulling in an old-style
hypervisor and a xenlinux kernel). That doesn't turn into a dummy
dependency package in Squeeze - it just disappears from the listings
and leaves users scratching their heads.

Mind you, how does this interact with the requirement in the generic
upgrade procedure for a kernel change to handle udev? Might that fix
it, if xen users are going to need a 2.6.32 xen kernel with extra
metapackaginess before they can upgrade the rest of the system?
--
JBR with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
sysadmin, and PROBABLY NO CLUE ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR PACKAGE


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110129170021.GA29716@xibalba.demon.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20110129170021.GA29716@xibalba.demon.co.uk
 
Old 01-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Ian Campbell
 
Default Bug#608253: Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 01:09 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> ----- Original message -----
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:34:23 +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> >
> > > # <para>
> > > # Upgrades from Lenny will not automatically install Xen version 4.0.
> > > Instead # you need to install Xen 4.0 and a corresponding dom0 kernel
> > > explicitly. See # the wiki page for instructions on how to set up the
> > > Xen hypervisor and dom0 # kernel under Squeeze.
> > > # </para>
> >
> > Is this actually true? Don't the xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-*
> > metapackages take care of this upgrade?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julien
>
> I wrote this after experimenting it myself on my Xen
> development server! Unless this changed over the
> last month it is true, and I wrote bug reports for
> it. It might be worth trying again and see what
> happens, and maybe link to the bug entry.

xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-amd64 and xen-linux-system-2.6-xen-686 were
added to Squeeze when linux-latest-2.6 was uploaded last week, closing
bug #402414.

So I think the advice now should be to install one of those metapackages
rather than the current advice to install specific hypervisor and
linux-image packages. This will facilitate future upgrades.

Can your bugs, #606589 and merged #606590, also be closed due to the
addition of the metapackages and/or this advice to the release notes?

BTW, why do we refer users to the wiki instead of including the advice
inline in the release notes? Is that just the way the release notes are
normally written?

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

Make headway at work. Continue to let things deteriorate at home.
 
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Bug#608253: Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:32:51 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> BTW, why do we refer users to the wiki instead of including the advice
> inline in the release notes? Is that just the way the release notes are
> normally written?
>
No, if the information can reasonably be included inline then we should
do that. Pointing at other sources for more information is ok, but
basic instructions should be included in the release notes directly,
IMO.

Cheers,
Julien
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org