Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Default linux-headers-XXX-common package

Hi,

With 2.6.24, we see a new package, linux-headers-2.6.24-common

How can this package be generated ?
I don't see an option in make-kpkg.

Thanks,
Ritesh
--
If possible, Please CC me when replying. I'm not subscribed to the list.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
dann frazier

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:09:39PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With 2.6.24, we see a new package, linux-headers-2.6.24-common
>
> How can this package be generated ?
> I don't see an option in make-kpkg.

hey Ritesh,
This package is linux-2.6 specific, presumably to optimize for space
by sharing files across multiple packages. You shouldn't need it when
building custom kernels with make-kpkg.

--
dann frazier

Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, dann frazier wrote:
> hey Ritesh,
> *This package is linux-2.6 specific, presumably to optimize for space
> by sharing files across multiple packages. You shouldn't need it when
> building custom kernels with make-kpkg.

I did and it failed.
make-kpkg tries to build the packages just like it did for earlier kernel
versions. But 2.6.24 had many changes.

The x86 + x86_64 merger.
This leads to a broken asm symbolic link in the linux-headers package because
include/i386 is no more present.

I also noticed that the Debian shipped 2..6.24 packages have a lot things
done.
A lot of include files have their names and locations changed, which make many
of the add-on kernel module packages fail to build. nvidia, kqemu, luvc and
more.
But with the Debian shipped kernels, nvidia built without any problems.

BTW, how do the packagers build it ?
Don't they use kernel-package ?

Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM
dann frazier

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:41:54AM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008, dann frazier wrote:
> > hey Ritesh,
> > ?This package is linux-2.6 specific, presumably to optimize for space
> > by sharing files across multiple packages. You shouldn't need it when
> > building custom kernels with make-kpkg.
>
> I did and it failed.
> make-kpkg tries to build the packages just like it did for earlier kernel
> versions. But 2.6.24 had many changes.
>
> The x86 + x86_64 merger.
> This leads to a broken asm symbolic link in the linux-headers package because
> include/i386 is no more present.

Perhaps you are hitting #461228?

> I also noticed that the Debian shipped 2..6.24 packages have a lot things
> done.
> A lot of include files have their names and locations changed, which make many
> of the add-on kernel module packages fail to build. nvidia, kqemu, luvc and
> more.
> But with the Debian shipped kernels, nvidia built without any problems.
>
> BTW, how do the packagers build it ?
> Don't they use kernel-package ?

The architecture of linux-2.6 header packages has diverged quite a bit
from straight kernel-package. I suggest skimming the linux-2.6 source
if you want the gory details, but for custom builds you'll probably
want the kernel-package fix.

--
dann frazier