Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Bastian Blank

Default Scheduling linux-2.6 2.6.24-3

Hi folks

I'd like to schedule the upload of linux-2.6 2.6.24-3 for tomorrow.

Bastian

--
Only a fool fights in a burning house.
-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Martin Michlmayr

* Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> [2008-02-04 14:08]:
> I'd like to schedule the upload of linux-2.6 2.6.24-3 for tomorrow.

BTW, are the m68k folks aware that 2.6.24 doesn't build on m68k?

LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
ld: .tmp_vmlinux1: Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N
ld: final link failed: Bad value
make[3]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/build/buildd/linux-2.6-2.6.24/debian/build/build_m68k_none_amiga'

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Bastian Blank

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 06:49:20AM -0700, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> [2008-02-04 14:08]:
> > I'd like to schedule the upload of linux-2.6 2.6.24-3 for tomorrow.
> BTW, are the m68k folks aware that 2.6.24 doesn't build on m68k?

cts uploads them by hand all the time, not good to use a different
toolchain.

Bastian

--
Every living thing wants to survive.
-- Spock, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
"Christian T. Steigies"

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:14:35PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 06:49:20AM -0700, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> [2008-02-04 14:08]:
> > > I'd like to schedule the upload of linux-2.6 2.6.24-3 for tomorrow.
> > BTW, are the m68k folks aware that 2.6.24 doesn't build on m68k?
>
> cts uploads them by hand all the time, not good to use a different
> toolchain.

Sorry, I have no m68k running at home at the moment, this is all cross
compiled on amd64 and/or i386, and it compiles just fine (and the kernel
even booted on my mac until the mac decided to freeze again, but that is not
kernel related since older kernel images, that used to run fine, freeze
also). Building linux-2.6 on a real m68k machine will take about a week. If
we have a lot of spare CPU cycles, we can do that, until then I prefer to
cross-compile. But you are right, the kernel should be buildable on an m68k
box, which compiler are you using?

I did see a difference between trunk and sid, with the patches from trunk,
the kernel would not build, but with sid it did. I haven't figured out why
yet.

Christian

Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Bastian Blank

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:59:01PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> If
> we have a lot of spare CPU cycles, we can do that, until then I prefer to
> cross-compile. But you are right, the kernel should be buildable on an m68k
> box, which compiler are you using?

Use a compiler and binutils generated from gcc-4.X-source and
binutils-source, not from out of the nowhere.

Bastian

--
Immortality consists largely of boredom.
-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8

Old 02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
"Christian T. Steigies"

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 04:38:57PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:59:01PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > If
> > we have a lot of spare CPU cycles, we can do that, until then I prefer to
> > cross-compile. But you are right, the kernel should be buildable on an m68k
> > box, which compiler are you using?
>
> Use a compiler and binutils generated from gcc-4.X-source and
> binutils-source, not from out of the nowhere.

Thats what I do, only that m68k needs to use gcc-3.3.6, but the
cross-compiler and binutils are built from debian sources.

Christian