FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Martin Michlmayr
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

* Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> [2007-11-25 02:55]:
> > Okay - i comes past the typical trip points but later when going
> > to userspace throws errors a lot ...
> hmm, I trusted Ralf, that the MAP_BASE change is needed for getting
> modules to work, but it looks like it breaks vmalloc. And it looks
> like modules should even work, if MAP_BASE is 0xc000000000000000.
> Does reverting that patch help ?

I reverted the patch, no longer get the vmalloc errors, and module loading
seems to work:

indy-r4k:~# modprobe xfs
SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, realtime, large block/inode numbers, no debug enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
indy-r4k:~#

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Florian Lohoff
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 07:04:17PM +0000, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Unless we use the compiler options mentioned before, which is probably
> not sensible given the performance impcat for other machines.
>
> However, keeping the kernel for IP22 at 64 bit sounds valuable to me,
> as most machines can make use of it.

Do you mean as a default ip22 image or as the only one? How much work
would it be to also provive ip22-32 images? The config is basically the
same except a single CONFIG item...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff flo@rfc822.org +49-171-2280134
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin
 
Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Thiemo Seufer
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 07:04:17PM +0000, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Unless we use the compiler options mentioned before, which is probably
> > not sensible given the performance impcat for other machines.
> >
> > However, keeping the kernel for IP22 at 64 bit sounds valuable to me,
> > as most machines can make use of it.
>
> Do you mean as a default ip22 image or as the only one?

I mean as the only one.

> How much work
> would it be to also provive ip22-32 images? The config is basically the
> same except a single CONFIG item...

With proper support in the installer, different images, and even further
increased buildd time: Quite a lot.

Could you try if adding the compiler options I mentioned to the kernel
Makefile works for your machine?


Thiemo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Florian Lohoff
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 05:32:56PM +0000, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Gcc 4.2 has -mfix-r4000 and -mfix-r4400 options which work around some
> of those errata. Maybe that's enough to make it work.

Nope - not enough - Neither -mfix-r4000 nor both let me create a working
64bit kernel ...

I guess very old 100Mhz R4k IP22 are out of business then ...

I compiled the current debian 2.6.23-experimental with CONFIG_32BIT=y
and the machine is happy.

linux-image-2.6.23-1-r4k-ip22-32_2.6.23-1~experimental.1~snapshot.9737_mips.deb

reconfig:~# uname -a
Linux reconfig.rfc822.org 2.6.23-1-r4k-ip22-32 #1 Tue Nov 27 09:12:47 UTC 2007 mips GNU/Linux

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff flo@rfc822.org +49-171-2280134
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Florian Lohoff
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:21:49PM +0000, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> With proper support in the installer, different images, and even further
> increased buildd time: Quite a lot.

The point is that there are probably a lot ore IP22 old-r4k users than
there are matla 4kc or 5kc users And those have a kernel (but no d-i
support)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff flo@rfc822.org +49-171-2280134
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Thiemo Seufer
 
Default Bug#451805: linux-image-2.6.22-3-r4k-ip22 dies early on boot / Starting ELF64 kernel

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:21:49PM +0000, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > With proper support in the installer, different images, and even further
> > increased buildd time: Quite a lot.
>
> The point is that there are probably a lot ore IP22 old-r4k users than
> there are matla 4kc or 5kc users And those have a kernel (but no d-i
> support)

I plan to do Malta installer support. (This allows us to scrap the odd
QEMU-specific kernel and use the Malta Emulation instead.)


Thiemo



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org