Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Ben Hutchings

Default Minutes of the Debian linux-2.6 Group Meeting

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:52:12PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
[...]
> Action item by Ben to poke Vince for a Debian solution with
> enough horse power and no bandwidth troubles.
> Also the automated tests proposed at the kernel summit are to be watched.

This is what I was talking about: <http://lwn.net/Articles/414064/>.

[...]
> The shared tree with Ubuntu 2.6.33 stable tree was pointed out as
> base, but might be missing stuff. maks will point gregkh to that
> tree and see if he is interested to take some into 2.6.33 stable.
> Ben did check the .34 stable tree patches and will check if we miss
> some .35 drm ones that maybe are applicable.

There was also a question about whether SLE developers might be interested
in sharing the drm33 stable branch. However, gregkh says that the 2.6.33
improvements weren't interesting for SLES while on the desktop they are
now concentrating on MeeGo which has a later kernel version.

> Regression from -26 seems reproducible by bwh with graphical programs
> using clutter. bwh will investigate those. It may have a link to the
> new resume trouble people are reporting.

I got a lot of hangs/crashes while at the mini-DebConf and LPC, but none
since (if I remember correctly). So I suspect I've actually been seeing
either a temperature-dependent hardware problem or something related to
wifi rather than graphics.

In any case I think this is unrelated to suspend/resume regressions.

[...]
> There is an unknown status of nouveau on ppc and sparc. jcristau will
> ask davem. Kicking out nv out of testing is consinderated.
> Trouble is that sparc and powerpc have no vesa fb fallback but only
> openfirmware fb. Radeon KMS is a known regression from UMS (can't
> change backlight, and can't suspend/resume at least on powerpc).
> xorg should currently remove modeset on these archs.
[...]

mjg59 subsequently said he has a native (non-ACPI) backlight driver for
the Radeon hardware which would be usable on non-x86 platforms in
conjunction with KMS. This is stalled on an unresponsive subsystem
maintainer for backlight.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM

On Nov 11, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:

> waldi proposes to remove old untouched stuff like ax25 and atm.
Remove from where? The ATM stack is needed to support USB DSL modems,
and while the code is not beautiful I think it can be considered mature.

> The cost of it has not yet been evaluated. We need a server box
> with good cooling to run benchmarks with it.
I can offer temporary access to developers to blade servers with 12
cores (hopefully soon with 48) and plenty of RAM.
Would a KVM guest work for you?
The hosts run RHEL since it is more stable (sorry...), I could
temporarily install Debian on one but it would take more time.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Thanks maks,

tiny update from the Xorg side:

maximilian attems <max@stro.at> (11/11/2010):
> Debian intel xorg driver is missing patch to bail out earlier when
> kms is off so the server will fall back to vesa, instead of erroring
> out.

455f2939 landed upstream, will be cherry-picked:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?id=455f2939a661764ebb8d1747d44e16a0a8937808

> Radeon KMS is a known regression from UMS (can't change backlight,
> and can't suspend/resume at least on powerpc). xorg should
> currently remove modeset on these archs.

Done in 1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1, needs an unblock (#603165).

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Mehdi Dogguy

On 11/11/2010 04:26 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> maximilian attems <max@stro.at> (11/11/2010):
>> Radeon KMS is a known regression from UMS (can't change backlight,
>> and can't suspend/resume at least on powerpc). xorg should
>> currently remove modeset on these archs.
>
> Done in 1:6.13.1-2+squeeze1, needs an unblock (#603165).

Unblocked now.

Cheers,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 PM
maximilian attems

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Nov 11, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:
>
> > waldi proposes to remove old untouched stuff like ax25 and atm.
> Remove from where? The ATM stack is needed to support USB DSL modems,
> and while the code is not beautiful I think it can be considered mature.

ok thanks for the feedback.

the more striking examples that got lost in the transcript,
are drivers that we are building due to them beeing modular,
but that can't be possible used.

> > The cost of it has not yet been evaluated. We need a server box
> > with good cooling to run benchmarks with it.
> I can offer temporary access to developers to blade servers with 12
> cores (hopefully soon with 48) and plenty of RAM.
> Would a KVM guest work for you?
> The hosts run RHEL since it is more stable (sorry...), I could
> temporarily install Debian on one but it would take more time.

Ben did take that action item irc, guess this can be sorted out.

--
maks

Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 PM
maximilian attems

Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
dann frazier

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:52:12PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
[...]
> Automated tests
> ---------------
>
> This is a pressing task, we should know sooner if the specific
> branch compiles and boots.
>
> waldi shouts for reprepro, sbuild and wannbuild. Build server
> needed between 6-12 hours and back then we didn't have debug yet.
> People were using and testing our builds.
>
> Action item by Ben to poke Vince for a Debian solution with
> enough horse power and no bandwidth troubles.
> Also the automated tests proposed at the kernel summit are to be
> watched.

fyi, hp was hosting a system for d-i testing that has recently become
available. Its a dual socket, 4-core xeon 2.33GHz system w/ 8 G of RAM
and 8x 15K RPM SAS drives (2 of which may be failing.. SMART status is
vague).

Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
dann frazier

Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
dann frazier

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:52:12PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> #534964 memory cgroup support for linux containers?
>
> bwh has patch to have cgroup mem functionaly but disabled by default.
> The cost of it has not yet been evaluated. We need a server box
> with good cooling to run benchmarks with it.

The server I mentioned for testing could probably be setup for this
purpose fairly quickly..