Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
dann frazier

Default updated text

Maks & I discussed this on IRC and drafted the following text which we
believe is ready for inclusion:

Debian 6.0 will be the final Debian release to include Linux kernel
virtualization featuresets outside of mainline. This means that the
OpenVZ and Linux-Vserver featuresets should be considered deprecated,
and users should migrate to linux-2.6 upstream merged virtualization
solutions like KVM, Linux Containers or Xen.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Mario Kleinsasser

Hello Dann,
I've got your message from the list and would like to ask you what this mean? We are massively using OpenVZ for our containers and this is the base of our weberver farm. The lxc Linux Containers project (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) sounds similar as OpenVZ. Are the kernel patches based upon the work of OpenVZ from Kir Kolyshkin? My*colleague and I know Kir Kolyshkin*(OpenVZ) since some years and we are in contact from time to time with him.

I gather that it isn't currently a problem for us because*squeeze will have an OpenVZ kernel image but its good to know whats coming next because we then have to productive migrate a lot of instances.
Does anyone know whats the currently status of OpenVZ integration in Debian 6.0 and later is? Whats the plan or vision?
The lxc homepage and the lxc article on wiki.debian.org or are quite straight forward. We aren't developers but we could do some testing if help is needed.

Mario

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20101102154313.GA24778@dannf.org

--
http://www.n0r1sk.com

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 +0100, Mario Kleinsasser wrote:
> Hello Dann,
>

> I've got your message from the list and would like to ask you what
> this mean? We are massively using OpenVZ for our containers and this
> is the base of our weberver farm. The lxc Linux Containers project
> (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) sounds similar as OpenVZ. Are the kernel
> patches based upon the work of OpenVZ from Kir Kolyshkin? My colleague
> and I know Kir Kolyshkin (OpenVZ) since some years and we are in
> contact from time to time with him.

I believe that many of the OpenVZ developers have also been working on
Linux Containers.

> I gather that it isn't currently a problem for us because squeeze will
> have an OpenVZ kernel image but its good to know whats coming next
> because we then have to productive migrate a lot of instances.
> Does anyone know whats the currently status of OpenVZ integration in
> Debian 6.0 and later is? Whats the plan or vision?
[...]

It is still supported in Debian 6.0, and the OpenVZ developers are
actively maintaining a branch based on Linux 2.6.32 which we are taking
fixes from.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
dann frazier

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:10:09PM -0400, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 +0100, Mario Kleinsasser wrote:
> > Hello Dann,
> >

> > I've got your message from the list and would like to ask you what
> > this mean? We are massively using OpenVZ for our containers and this
> > is the base of our weberver farm. The lxc Linux Containers project
> > (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) sounds similar as OpenVZ. Are the kernel
> > patches based upon the work of OpenVZ from Kir Kolyshkin? My colleague
> > and I know Kir Kolyshkin (OpenVZ) since some years and we are in
> > contact from time to time with him.
>
> I believe that many of the OpenVZ developers have also been working on
> Linux Containers.

Yes, my understanding is that they are working to redesign pieces to
get them excepted upstream, and then altering the OpenVZ patches to
make use of the upstreamed code. (This is based upon a talk by Kir at
the LF Collaboration Summit in April).

I hope to see a mature/upstream LXC implementation for wheezy to which
we can migrate OpenVZ/Linux Vserver users.

> > I gather that it isn't currently a problem for us because squeeze will
> > have an OpenVZ kernel image but its good to know whats coming next
> > because we then have to productive migrate a lot of instances.
> > Does anyone know whats the currently status of OpenVZ integration in
> > Debian 6.0 and later is? Whats the plan or vision?
> [...]
>
> It is still supported in Debian 6.0, and the OpenVZ developers are
> actively maintaining a branch based on Linux 2.6.32 which we are taking
> fixes from.

I'd add that, in my experience, the OpenVZ developers have been very
good at working with Debian and our users - this isn't a rebuke of
their work, but is part of an effort to reduce the overhead of
maintaining several flavors, and to target upstreamed solutions.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Mario Kleinsasser

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:10:09PM -0400, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 +0100, Mario Kleinsasser wrote:

> > Hello Dann,

> > I've got your message from the list and would like to ask you what

> > this mean? We are massively using OpenVZ for our containers and this

> > is the base of our weberver farm. The lxc Linux Containers project

> > (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) sounds similar as OpenVZ. Are the kernel

> > patches based upon the work of OpenVZ from Kir Kolyshkin? My colleague

> > and I know Kir Kolyshkin (OpenVZ) since some years and we are in

> > contact from time to time with him.

> I believe that many of the OpenVZ developers have also been working on

> Linux Containers.

Yes, my understanding is that they are working to redesign pieces to

get them excepted upstream, and then altering the OpenVZ patches to

make use of the upstreamed code. (This is based upon a talk by Kir at

the LF Collaboration Summit in April).

Yes I know, he talkes about it also at the LinuxTAG 2009 in Berlin.*

I hope to see a mature/upstream LXC implementation for wheezy to which

we can migrate OpenVZ/Linux Vserver users.

Thumbs up, I think this could be an good option for a larger circle of users.
*

> > I gather that it isn't currently a problem for us because squeeze will

> > have an OpenVZ kernel image but its good to know whats coming next

> > because we then have to productive migrate a lot of instances.

> > Does anyone know whats the currently status of OpenVZ integration in

> > Debian 6.0 and later is? Whats the plan or vision?

> [...]

> It is still supported in Debian 6.0, and the OpenVZ developers are

> actively maintaining a branch based on Linux 2.6.32 which we are taking

> fixes from.

I'd add that, in my experience, the OpenVZ developers have been very

good at working with Debian and our users - this isn't a rebuke of

their work, but is part of an effort to reduce the overhead of

maintaining several flavors, and to target upstreamed solutions.

Thats also my mind.
Are there currently any binary debs for lxc available or in plan?
Mario

--
http://www.n0r1sk.com

Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
maximilian attems

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:41:57AM +0100, Mario Kleinsasser wrote:

> Are there currently any binary debs for lxc available or in plan?

Linux Containers are merged in linux-2.6 itself, so any linux image is fine
although for features like lxc attach you'd need newer then 2.6.32 squeeze one.

rmadison lxc
lxc | 0.7.2-1 | squeeze | source, amd64, armel, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390
lxc | 0.7.2-1 | sid | source, alpha, amd64, armel, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390

lxc are the userspace utilites.