Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Pedro Bulach Gapski

Default 3 system freezes after upgrading to 2.6.32-23: advice needed

Hello list,

This morning I have upgraded my notebook from kernel
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem from 2.6.32-21 to 2.6.32-23.

During the day I have had 3 system freezes: blank screen, no keyboard
lights, no remote ssh, no alt+sysrq. All the 3 freezes seem to have
happened at moments of system inactivity. Notable was that the wifi
light was turned off on all 3 freezes, despite the fact wifi was on
previously.

This notebook is a Dell Vostro and has a Broadcom Corporation
BCM43224, and I am using the broadcom-sta driver from sid. In the logs
there is a
"brcm80211: module is from the staging directory, the quality is
unknown, you have been warned."
In the changelog I see there was activity in this driver, and I had to
manually download its firmware
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=597034#10), so this
is my first suspect.

Since there is no other clue in the logs, I turn to this list for
advice on how to proceed on this issue.

regards,

Pedro

Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 17:00 -0300, Pedro Bulach Gapski wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This morning I have upgraded my notebook from kernel
> linux-image-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem from 2.6.32-21 to 2.6.32-23.
>
> During the day I have had 3 system freezes: blank screen, no keyboard
> lights, no remote ssh, no alt+sysrq. All the 3 freezes seem to have
> happened at moments of system inactivity. Notable was that the wifi
> light was turned off on all 3 freezes, despite the fact wifi was on
> previously.
>
> This notebook is a Dell Vostro and has a Broadcom Corporation
> BCM43224, and I am using the broadcom-sta driver from sid.

Not any more, you're not.

> In the logs
> there is a
> "brcm80211: module is from the staging directory, the quality is
> unknown, you have been warned."
> In the changelog I see there was activity in this driver, and I had to
> manually download its firmware
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=597034#10), so this
> is my first suspect.

The brcm80211 driver, which is under GPL, replaces the non-free
broadcom-sta aka wl driver.

> Since there is no other clue in the logs, I turn to this list for
> advice on how to proceed on this issue.

You could try blacklisting the brcm80211 driver, so that the wl driver
will be loaded instead. To do this, run:

echo blacklist brcm80211 > /etc/modprobe.d/brcm80211.conf

Then switch to the wl driver:

rmmod brcm80211 && modprobe wl

If this fixes the problem then we know that this is really a bug in
brcm80211.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Pedro Bulach Gapski

I have blacklisted the brcm80211 module and worked all day without a problem.

I googled to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211,
where it is stated that
"43224/5 has a locking issue, stable with maxcpus=1, can crash
otherwise after random period."
which pretty much matches my case.

Thanks for the advice, Ben.

Regards,

Pedro

Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 18:33 -0300, Pedro Bulach Gapski wrote:
> I have blacklisted the brcm80211 module and worked all day without a problem.
>
> I googled to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211,
> where it is stated that
> "43224/5 has a locking issue, stable with maxcpus=1, can crash
> otherwise after random period."
> which pretty much matches my case.
>
> Thanks for the advice, Ben.

I've filed a bug on the broadcom-sta package, suggesting that it could
provide a configuration file to blacklist brcm80211.

However, I think we should continue to provide brcm80211 in the kernel
image packages as there is some value in a free driver that doesn't have
to be built by the user. We can apply upstream fixes for the locking
bugs later.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Pedro Bulach Gapski

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 18:33 -0300, Pedro Bulach Gapski wrote:
>> I have blacklisted the brcm80211 module and worked all day without a problem.
>>
>> I googled to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211,
>> where it is stated that
>> "43224/5 has a locking issue, stable with maxcpus=1, can crash
>> otherwise after random period."
>> which pretty much matches my case.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice, Ben.
>
> I've filed a bug on the broadcom-sta package, suggesting that it could
> provide a configuration file to blacklist brcm80211.
>
> However, I think we should continue to provide brcm80211 in the kernel
> image packages as there is some value in a free driver that doesn't have
> to be built by the user. *We can apply upstream fixes for the locking
> bugs later.

I do agree.

Pedro