Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Cesare Leonardi

Default Squeeze kernel, i855 and KMS

Hi debian-kernel developers.

I would just to let you know (in case you don't know yet) the latest
changes in xserver-xorg-video-intel, that substantially reintroduces KMS
for older chipsets like i855 and require it to not be blacklisted
anymore in the kernel for these chipsets.

This is the changelog from the latest unstable upload of the intel driver:

xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.12.0+shadow-1) unstable; urgency=low

* Revert the come-back of UMS. Update to upstream HEAD instead.
Closes: #594623, #594338.
* Dropping UMS means its bugs are irrelevant, so this closes: #570766,
#594815.
* Bump libdrm build-dep for DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_eDP.
* Don't enable DRI2 if the shadow option is on.
* Use shadowfb on i8xx by default. Hopefully closes: #570988, #572105,
#576848, #592586, #593293.
* New upstream doesn't assert() when running sm (closes: #593199).

Many thanks to jcristau to following the recent upstream works and
releasing a packaged driver so quickly.

Ciao.

Cesare.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 22:05 +0200, Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> Hi debian-kernel developers.
>
> I would just to let you know (in case you don't know yet) the latest
> changes in xserver-xorg-video-intel, that substantially reintroduces KMS
> for older chipsets like i855 and require it to not be blacklisted
> anymore in the kernel for these chipsets.
> This is the changelog from the latest unstable upload of the intel driver:
[...]

Thanks for letting us know, but Julien Cristau is in regular contact
with us and we generally follow his advice regarding the kernel graphics
drivers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings