Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Ian Campbell

Default Xen "pvhvm" driver support for squeeze?

The pvhvm drivers for Xen allow a fully virtualised guest (aka HVM) to
use the Xen PV disk and network interfaces the same as a Xen guest
running paravirtualised, in addition they allow for PV time and event
delivery, suspend/resume support and PV hooks to improve performance
under shadow page tables.

The drivers are currently in linux-next and are expected to go in during
the next merge window. Stefano (the upstream author) has also prepared
backports to 2.6.32 for RHEL6 and I would like to know if there would be
interest in (or rather objections to) my adding these to the squeeze
kernel?

The majority of the patch is a new driver for a virtual PCI device which
provides the glue to allow the existing PV drivers to work in an HVM
context.

The diffstat (below vs 2.6.32) is a bit daunting but really it is just
some infrastructure hooks and the new "platform-pci" driver. The
functionality is also rather modular so it would be possible e.g. to
just have PV disk and network but not time etc etc.

The full series of patches can be found at
http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm

Opinions?

Ian.

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 11 ++
arch/x86/include/asm/irq_vectors.h | 3 +
arch/x86/include/asm/setup.h | 2 +-
arch/x86/include/asm/xen/hypercall.h | 6 +
arch/x86/include/asm/xen/hypervisor.h | 2 +
arch/x86/kernel/entry_32.S | 3 +
arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.S | 3 +
arch/x86/kernel/hpet.c | 18 ++--
arch/x86/kernel/setup.c | 2 +
arch/x86/xen/Makefile | 2 +-
arch/x86/xen/enlighten.c | 136 ++++++++++++++++++++--
arch/x86/xen/mmu.c | 33 +++++
arch/x86/xen/mmu.h | 1 +
arch/x86/xen/platform-pci-unplug.c | 132 +++++++++++++++++++++
arch/x86/xen/suspend.c | 13 ++
arch/x86/xen/time.c | 62 +++++++++-
arch/x86/xen/xen-ops.h | 12 +-
drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c | 91 +++++++++++++-
drivers/input/xen-kbdfront.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/xen-fbfront.c | 2 +-
drivers/xen/Kconfig | 12 ++-
drivers/xen/Makefile | 3 +-
drivers/xen/events.c | 91 +++++++++++++--
drivers/xen/grant-table.c | 77 +++++++++++--
drivers/xen/manage.c | 46 +++++++-
drivers/xen/platform-pci.c | 207 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.c | 47 ++++++--
drivers/xen/xenfs/super.c | 4 +-
include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h | 1 +
include/linux/pci_ids.h | 3 +
include/xen/events.h | 7 +
include/xen/grant_table.h | 4 +
include/xen/hvm.h | 30 +++++
include/xen/interface/features.h | 6 +
include/xen/interface/grant_table.h | 1 +
include/xen/interface/hvm/hvm_op.h | 46 +++++++
include/xen/interface/hvm/params.h | 95 +++++++++++++++
include/xen/platform_pci.h | 49 ++++++++
include/xen/xen-ops.h | 3 +

Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Rotting Christ - Shades Of Evil

Nothing lasts forever.
Where do I find nothing?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 15:44 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The pvhvm drivers for Xen allow a fully virtualised guest (aka HVM) to
> use the Xen PV disk and network interfaces the same as a Xen guest
> running paravirtualised, in addition they allow for PV time and event
> delivery, suspend/resume support and PV hooks to improve performance
> under shadow page tables.
>
> The drivers are currently in linux-next and are expected to go in during
> the next merge window. Stefano (the upstream author) has also prepared
> backports to 2.6.32 for RHEL6 and I would like to know if there would be
> interest in (or rather objections to) my adding these to the squeeze
> kernel?

This looks OK in principle.

> The majority of the patch is a new driver for a virtual PCI device which
> provides the glue to allow the existing PV drivers to work in an HVM
> context.

One nit is that you are adding to <linux/pci_ids.h> which is deprecated
now. You should just define the vendor/device IDs in the driver.

> The diffstat (below vs 2.6.32) is a bit daunting but really it is just
> some infrastructure hooks and the new "platform-pci" driver. The
> functionality is also rather modular so it would be possible e.g. to
> just have PV disk and network but not time etc etc.
>
> The full series of patches can be found at
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm
>
> Opinions?

I note that the backport branch was only created today, so I'm guessing
it hasn't had a whole lot of testing yet.

Can we put off this decision for a week or so, so you and your
colleagues have time to test the backport branch and we can also see
Linus's decision on whether to pull the changes into 2.6.36?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Bastian Blank

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:44:01PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The full series of patches can be found at
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm

We have this code already, so no extra round.

Bastian

--
There's a way out of any cage.
-- Captain Christopher Pike, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"),

Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Ian Campbell

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:37 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:44:01PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > The full series of patches can be found at
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> > in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm
>
> We have this code already, so no extra round.

In the xen flavour only though. I'd like to get these drivers into the
regular flavours so that they are available for Debian Installer to use.

My intention was to add the series to the base patch series and add a
patch to the xen flavour to revert them so that pvops.patch applies
cleanly.

BTW, are you going to refresh pvops.patch? How do you do that, I wasn't
sure which base version to use for git diff, the target version is
contained in the patch header.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Tool - Eulogy

U: There's a U -- a Unicorn!
Run right up and rub its horn.
Look at all those points you're losing!
UMBER HULKS are so confusing.
-- The Roguelet's ABC

Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Ian Campbell

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 03:43 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 15:44 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > The pvhvm drivers for Xen allow a fully virtualised guest (aka HVM) to
> > use the Xen PV disk and network interfaces the same as a Xen guest
> > running paravirtualised, in addition they allow for PV time and event
> > delivery, suspend/resume support and PV hooks to improve performance
> > under shadow page tables.
> >
> > The drivers are currently in linux-next and are expected to go in during
> > the next merge window. Stefano (the upstream author) has also prepared
> > backports to 2.6.32 for RHEL6 and I would like to know if there would be
> > interest in (or rather objections to) my adding these to the squeeze
> > kernel?
>
> This looks OK in principle.
>
> > The majority of the patch is a new driver for a virtual PCI device which
> > provides the glue to allow the existing PV drivers to work in an HVM
> > context.
>
> One nit is that you are adding to <linux/pci_ids.h> which is deprecated
> now. You should just define the vendor/device IDs in the driver.

I didn't know that, it looks like the file is still being updated fairly
regularly. I guess it should have come up in review of the upstream
version?

> > The diffstat (below vs 2.6.32) is a bit daunting but really it is just
> > some infrastructure hooks and the new "platform-pci" driver. The
> > functionality is also rather modular so it would be possible e.g. to
> > just have PV disk and network but not time etc etc.
> >
> > The full series of patches can be found at
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> > in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> I note that the backport branch was only created today, so I'm guessing
> it hasn't had a whole lot of testing yet.

I'm sure Stefano will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority
of the patch series was actually developed against the stable-2.6.32.x
branch in the xen.git tree and then forward ported to a more recent
version for upstreaming. The 2.6.32-pvhvm is a rebase to plain 2.6.32,
so it's relatively well tested, as new branches go ;-)

Stefano, I actually had to rebase again onto 2.6.32.16 (which is
currently the Debian base version) to resolve a few conflicts.

> Can we put off this decision for a week or so, so you and your
> colleagues have time to test the backport branch and we can also see
> Linus's decision on whether to pull the changes into 2.6.36?

Sure, that seems reasonable.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Tool - Eulogy

Yow! It's some people inside the wall! This is better than mopping!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Bastian Blank

I did not request a copy of this mail, please respect that.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:43:50AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:37 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > We have this code already, so no extra round.
> In the xen flavour only though. I'd like to get these drivers into the
> regular flavours so that they are available for Debian Installer to use.

This is no excuse, the installer uses the real PV kernel.

> My intention was to add the series to the base patch series and add a
> patch to the xen flavour to revert them so that pvops.patch applies
> cleanly.

No. The same code two times, maybe slightly different, is no option.

> BTW, are you going to refresh pvops.patch? How do you do that, I wasn't
> sure which base version to use for git diff, the target version is
> contained in the patch header.

My last tried update broke anything and I did not get to it after that.

Bastian

--
Behind every great man, there is a woman -- urging him on.
-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Ian Campbell

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 11:18 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> I did not request a copy of this mail, please respect that.

Sure, sorry about that.

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:43:50AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:37 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > We have this code already, so no extra round.
> > In the xen flavour only though. I'd like to get these drivers into the
> > regular flavours so that they are available for Debian Installer to use.
>
> This is no excuse, the installer uses the real PV kernel.

Not when running in an HVM guest it doesn't, which is the whole point of
this driver.

> > My intention was to add the series to the base patch series and add a
> > patch to the xen flavour to revert them so that pvops.patch applies
> > cleanly.
>
> No. The same code two times, maybe slightly different, is no option.

Agreed.

I would prefer to refresh the pvops.patch so that it contains the same
version of this driver as is added to the base flavour. IOW this
specific functionality would drop out of pvops.patch since it would be
present in the base -- to do that I'd need to know how to refresh the
pvops.patch in a controlled way...

> > BTW, are you going to refresh pvops.patch? How do you do that, I wasn't
> > sure which base version to use for git diff, the target version is
> > contained in the patch header.
>
> My last tried update broke anything and I did not get to it after that.

Anything I can help with?

Ian.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Bastian Blank

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:44:32AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 11:18 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > This is no excuse, the installer uses the real PV kernel.
> Not when running in an HVM guest it doesn't, which is the whole point of
> this driver.

You can always decide to use HVM or PV. PV is already pretty well
supported.

Bastian

--
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1

Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Bastian Blank

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:44:01PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The full series of patches can be found at
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm

I still veto the xenfs change. For rationale see
<20100527225440.GC25018@wavehammer.waldi.eu.org> . You can help me fix
this, as I currently lack the time to do that.

Bastian

--
Knowledge, sir, should be free to all!
-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Ian Campbell

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 12:05 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:44:32AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 11:18 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > This is no excuse, the installer uses the real PV kernel.
> > Not when running in an HVM guest it doesn't, which is the whole point of
> > this driver.
>
> You can always decide to use HVM or PV. PV is already pretty well
> supported.

So is HVM and I see no reason not to offer users of Debian in a Xen
guest the flexibility to install Debian with PV drivers if that is what
they want.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Nailbomb - Police Truck