Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Bart Verwilst

Default CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set for linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64

Hi

I am not on the list, so please forgive me and put me in CC
I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu Lucid from linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
through the Xen 4.0.1-rc3 hypervisor ( also Debian packages ), which
boots fine, but then fails to show me the console:

<snip>
[ 12.408078] initcall xenfs_init+0x0/0x60 [xenfs] returned 0 after 8
usecs
[ 12.460657] Adding 1020116k swap on /dev/sda2. Priority:-1 extents:1
across:1020116k
[ 12.569397] udev: starting version 151
(XEN) IOAPIC[0]: Set PCI routing entry (8-19 -> 0x49 -> IRQ 19 Mode:1
Active:1)
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/sda3: clean, 71217/640848 files, 671319/2558351 blocks
/dev/sda1: recovering journal
/dev/sda1: clean, 206/24096 files, 28807/96356 blocks
init: ureadahead-other main process (607) terminated with status 4

and there it hangs.. While looking for a reason ( console and stuffs
should all be fine ), i came across this:

root@database42:/boot# grep DEPRE config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
# CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y

I knew the latest udev needs this to be deprecated, and the Xen docs
told me the same:

"Make sure you have these two set (otherwise your init hangs and udev
stops working)

CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y"

What am i missing here? Why does it work for the Debian systems ( i guess )

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

Bart Verwilst

Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 01:04 +0200, Bart Verwilst wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am not on the list, so please forgive me and put me in CC
> I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu Lucid from linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> through the Xen 4.0.1-rc3 hypervisor ( also Debian packages ), which
> boots fine, but then fails to show me the console:
[...]
> While looking for a reason ( console and stuffs
> should all be fine ), i came across this:
>
> root@database42:/boot# grep DEPRE config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> # CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
> CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y
>

> I knew the latest udev needs this to be deprecated, and the Xen docs
> told me the same:
>
> "Make sure you have these two set (otherwise your init hangs and udev
> stops working)
>
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y"
>

> What am i missing here? Why does it work for the Debian systems ( i guess )

You are confused. CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED(_V2)=y means that the
deprecated entries still appear in sysfs, so the current configuration
is correct.

I think the deprecated entries used to be required by the administration
tools that run in dom0, but AFAIK this is no longer be true.

In any case, if you are using a mixture of Debian and Ubuntu packages in
the same domain then you cannot expect any support from either
distribution.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Ian Campbell

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 00:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 01:04 +0200, Bart Verwilst wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am not on the list, so please forgive me and put me in CC
> > I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu Lucid from linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > through the Xen 4.0.1-rc3 hypervisor ( also Debian packages ), which
> > boots fine, but then fails to show me the console:
> [...]
> > While looking for a reason ( console and stuffs
> > should all be fine ), i came across this:
> >
> > root@database42:/boot# grep DEPRE config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > # CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
> > CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y
> >

> > I knew the latest udev needs this to be deprecated, and the Xen docs
> > told me the same:
> >
> > "Make sure you have these two set (otherwise your init hangs and udev
> > stops working)
> >
> > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
> > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y"
> >

> > What am i missing here? Why does it work for the Debian systems ( i guess )
>
> You are confused. CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED(_V2)=y means that the
> deprecated entries still appear in sysfs, so the current configuration
> is correct.
>
> I think the deprecated entries used to be required by the administration
> tools that run in dom0, but AFAIK this is no longer be true.

I thought the option was there to allow older udev (and/or initrd)
running on newer kernels? IIRC the initrd hang referred to above was a
bug in RH's nash (used in the initrd) which was triggered by a dir in
sysfs becoming a symlink (or vice-versa).

I wasn't aware of any Xen specific requirement for those options, the
suggestion on
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/2.6.18-to-2.6.31-and-higher does seem
overly broad since it only applied to userspace of a particular vintage
from one distro family. Konrad, what do you think?

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

94% of the women in America are beautiful and the rest hang out around here.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:26:07AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 00:47 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 01:04 +0200, Bart Verwilst wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am not on the list, so please forgive me and put me in CC
> > > I'm trying to boot an Ubuntu Lucid from linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > > through the Xen 4.0.1-rc3 hypervisor ( also Debian packages ), which
> > > boots fine, but then fails to show me the console:
> > [...]
> > > While looking for a reason ( console and stuffs
> > > should all be fine ), i came across this:
> > >
> > > root@database42:/boot# grep DEPRE config-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> > > # CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set
> > > CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y
> > >

> > > I knew the latest udev needs this to be deprecated, and the Xen docs
> > > told me the same:
> > >
> > > "Make sure you have these two set (otherwise your init hangs and udev
> > > stops working)
> > >
> > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
> > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y"
> > >

> > > What am i missing here? Why does it work for the Debian systems ( i guess )
> >
> > You are confused. CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED(_V2)=y means that the
> > deprecated entries still appear in sysfs, so the current configuration
> > is correct.
> >
> > I think the deprecated entries used to be required by the administration
> > tools that run in dom0, but AFAIK this is no longer be true.
>
> I thought the option was there to allow older udev (and/or initrd)
> running on newer kernels? IIRC the initrd hang referred to above was a

Yes. And also multipath and lsscsi.

> bug in RH's nash (used in the initrd) which was triggered by a dir in
> sysfs becoming a symlink (or vice-versa).
>
> I wasn't aware of any Xen specific requirement for those options, the
> suggestion on
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/2.6.18-to-2.6.31-and-higher does seem
> overly broad since it only applied to userspace of a particular vintage
> from one distro family. Konrad, what do you think?

Debian does not seem to use nash. I am not sure which version (and if
they have the patches) for the multipath are affected. I can definitly
alter it to say: "Hey, this is only for RHEL/CentOS users".

Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Ian Campbell

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 11:31 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> Debian does not seem to use nash.

Correct, nash is a RH thing. Debian's initrds use a regular /bin/sh
script. I think SuSE and derived distros use something else again (but I
don't know what).

> I am not sure which version (and if
> they have the patches) for the multipath are affected.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/multipath-tools.html says squeeze has
0.4.8+git0.761c66f-9

http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lsscsi.html points to version 0.21-2.

Given that Debian kernels don't seem to suffer from hangs without the
deprecated config options (which were disabled in early 2009) I think
it's safe to say these versions are sufficient.

> I can definitly alter it to say: "Hey, this is only for RHEL/CentOS
> users".

Or "if your boot hangs during the initrd stage, try...."

Thanks,
Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

I'm in direct contact with many advanced fun CONCEPTS.