Old 07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Berillions

Default Firmware realtek + Debian amd64 = kernel panic

Hello,

I have a big problem with my wifi chipset on Debian 64.
To configure my wifi, i installed the package "firmware-realtek" to install the firmware for my chipset wifi = realtek 8192e.

After to install the firmware and wireless-tools/wpasupplicant, i edit "interface" file in /etc/network like this :

auto wlan0
iface wlan0
wpa-ssid "Network_Name"
wpa-psk "Password"

and i launch this* command : ifup wlan0.

On Debian i686, after to launch this latest command, i haven't problems and the wifi works correctly.

But, on Debian amd64, when i launch this command, i have a kernel panic and i understand why.

I don't know how find the log for the kernel panic but i take the kern.log after to boot on Ubuntu Live CD* (only for my chipet wifi) :

http://pastebin.com/7L7z3as7

Thanks for your help,
Berillions

PS : I'm french, sorry for my english

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 16:33 +0200, Berillions wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a big problem with my wifi chipset on Debian 64.
> To configure my wifi, i installed the package "firmware-realtek" to
> install the firmware for my chipset wifi = realtek 8192e.
>
> After to install the firmware and wireless-tools/wpasupplicant, i edit
> "interface" file in /etc/network like this :
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0
> wpa-ssid "Network_Name"
> wpa-psk "Password"
>
> and i launch this command : ifup wlan0.
>
> On Debian i686, after to launch this latest command, i haven't
> problems and the wifi works correctly.
> But, on Debian amd64, when i launch this command, i have a kernel
> panic and i understand why.
>
> I don't know how find the log for the kernel panic but i take the
> kern.log after to boot on Ubuntu Live CD (only for my chipet wifi) :
> http://pastebin.com/7L7z3as7

Please run 'reportbug linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64' to make a proper bug
report. Use netconsole
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt>, a
serial console
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/serial-console.txt> or a
digital camera to capture the panic messages.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings