FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Peter Oberparleiter
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

A fix for this problem has been accepted for inclusion into 2.6.35-rc5. See:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=cffab6bc5511cd6f67a60bf16b6 2de4267b68c4c


Regards,
Peter Oberparleiter




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C45AAEE.7010807@linux.vnet.ibm.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C45AAEE.7010807@linux.vnet.ibm.com
 
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:55:58 -0400 (EDT), Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
>
> A fix for this problem has been accepted for inclusion into 2.6.35-rc5. See:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=cffab6bc5511cd6f67a60bf16b6 2de4267b68c4c

Thanks, Peter. I'm really busy right now, but I'll try to test this
sometime in the next few weeks.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1006577487.39581.1279823196854.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1006577487.39581.1279823196854.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:55:58 -0400 (EDT), Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
>
> A fix for this problem has been accepted for inclusion into 2.6.35-rc5. See:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=cffab6bc5511cd6f67a60bf16b6 2de4267b68c4c

Hello, Peter. I finally got a chance to take a look at this today.
I can't apply the patch as written to my 2.6.32 source code due to changes
between 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 that will cause the patch to not apply.
However, I did look at the patch. While I confess to being a complete
novice in the C language, the patch doesn't look quite right to me.
Consider the following excerpt from the patch:

+ if ((info->cu_type == 0x6310 && info->dev_type == 0x9336) ||
+ (info->cu_type == 0x3880 && info->dev_type == 0x3370))
+ labelsect = info->label_block;
+ else
+ labelsect = info->label_block * (blocksize >> 9);

This is unexpected. I expected that last line to be

+ labelsect = info->label_block * (blocksize/512)

My concern is not for FBA DASD. I expect your code to execute correctly
for FBA DASD. My concern is that it will break for CKD DASD. Are you
sure that this is correct? Did you test the fix for CKD DASD as well
as FBA DASD?

Respectfully submitted.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 985995703.149130.1280864598758.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/985995703.149130.1280864598758.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Peter Oberparleiter
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

Hello Stephen,

On 03.08.2010 21:43, Stephen Powell wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:55:58 -0400 (EDT), Peter Oberparleiter wrote:

A fix for this problem has been accepted for inclusion into 2.6.35-rc5. See:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=cffab6bc5511cd6f67a60bf16b6 2de4267b68c4c


Hello, Peter. I finally got a chance to take a look at this today.
I can't apply the patch as written to my 2.6.32 source code due to changes
between 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 that will cause the patch to not apply.
However, I did look at the patch. While I confess to being a complete
novice in the C language, the patch doesn't look quite right to me.
Consider the following excerpt from the patch:

+ if ((info->cu_type == 0x6310&& info->dev_type == 0x9336) ||
+ (info->cu_type == 0x3880&& info->dev_type == 0x3370))
+ labelsect = info->label_block;
+ else
+ labelsect = info->label_block * (blocksize>> 9);

This is unexpected. I expected that last line to be

+ labelsect = info->label_block * (blocksize/512)


Note that >> is the "shift right" operator in C and that shifting an
integer 9 positions to the right is the same as a division by 512. I
used the >> operator for consistency with the remaining function.



My concern is not for FBA DASD. I expect your code to execute correctly
for FBA DASD. My concern is that it will break for CKD DASD. Are you
sure that this is correct? Did you test the fix for CKD DASD as well
as FBA DASD?


I tested the code successfully for both FBA and CKD DASD.


Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C592846.1070607@linux.vnet.ibm.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C592846.1070607@linux.vnet.ibm.com
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 04:43:50 -0400 (EDT), Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
>
> Note that >> is the "shift right" operator in C and that shifting an
> integer 9 positions to the right is the same as a division by 512. I
> used the >> operator for consistency with the remaining function.

Aha! Now it makes sense. I "see" I still have much more to learn about
"C". ;-) And thank you for being so gracious about explaining it without
making fun of my C ignorance, which would have been very easy for you to do.
I left myself wide open.

I am satisfied with the fix. Thank you, Peter. Currently, the newest
Debian kernel available (in "experimental") is 2.6.35~rc6-1~experimental.1,
so I trust it won't be too long until a kernel with this fix applied
gets uploaded.

Debian kernel team: please leave this Debian bug report open until
an official Debian kernel with this fix included has been uploaded
to the Debian archive.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 497358035.165440.1280929170923.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/497358035.165440.1280929170923.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff
 
Default Bug#582281: Upstream fix

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:39:30AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 04:43:50 -0400 (EDT), Peter Oberparleiter wrote:
> >
> > Note that >> is the "shift right" operator in C and that shifting an
> > integer 9 positions to the right is the same as a division by 512. I
> > used the >> operator for consistency with the remaining function.
>
> Aha! Now it makes sense. I "see" I still have much more to learn about
> "C". ;-) And thank you for being so gracious about explaining it without
> making fun of my C ignorance, which would have been very easy for you to do.
> I left myself wide open.
>
> I am satisfied with the fix. Thank you, Peter. Currently, the newest
> Debian kernel available (in "experimental") is 2.6.35~rc6-1~experimental.1,
> so I trust it won't be too long until a kernel with this fix applied
> gets uploaded.
>
> Debian kernel team: please leave this Debian bug report open until
> an official Debian kernel with this fix included has been uploaded
> to the Debian archive.

The final 2.6.35 has been uploaded to experimental, but it's not yet
cleared from the NEW queue and it might take some time to be built
on s390.

Cheers,
Moritz



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100806215140.GA8889@galadriel.inutil.org">http://lists.debian.org/20100806215140.GA8889@galadriel.inutil.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org