Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Joachim Wiedorn

Default detecting architecture from vmlinuz

Hello,

[ I am not subscribed to debian-kernel ]

I have found a problem in the bootloader lilo because lilo compute the
uncompressed size of vmlinuz (-> vmlinux) with an algorithm which is false
for especially the amd64 architecture.

My question: is there a way to detect the right architecture only from
the compressed file vmlinuz to compute the size of the uncompressed
file vmlinux depending on the architecture?

Or does anyone know another (quick) way for reading the real size
of vmlinux without uncompressing vmlinuz?

(Reason: It make no sense for each detection to uncompress the vmlinuz
file, which is need to know how much memory is need for the kernel).

Have a nice day,

Joachim (Germany)