Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Default Debian Kernel Team

Hello Debian Kernel Team,

I would like to participate in the Debian kernel efforts.

I have run through the (limited) information on the wiki but am not sure where
to start.

From what I have understood, there's a loose team based on architectures that
interest them. Are there teams also based on specific subsystems ? I am
currently interested in the I/O subsystem and would like to participate there.

Also looking at the bug reports, I get scared. I don't see them categorized. I
am not sure if I can find all Debian kernel bugs related to I/O subsystem.
I think the kernel handbook mentions not to use usertags.

I would like your help to catch-up and participate in the Debian kernel
efforts.

Also, how are feature requests handled ? Currently, I have a couple of feature
requests which I am tempted to enable but would like to understand the process
first.

Regards,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf | http://people.debian.org/~rrs
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 18:02 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Hello Debian Kernel Team,
>
> I would like to participate in the Debian kernel efforts.
>
> I have run through the (limited) information on the wiki but am not sure where
> to start.
>
> From what I have understood, there's a loose team based on architectures that
> interest them.

We do maintain that list of maintainers with particular interest and
knowledge of each architecture, but those aren't really sub-teams.

> Are there teams also based on specific subsystems ? I am
> currently interested in the I/O subsystem and would like to participate there.

"I/O" covers a lot of different things. Do you mean storage?

> Also looking at the bug reports, I get scared. I don't see them categorized. I
> am not sure if I can find all Debian kernel bugs related to I/O subsystem.
> I think the kernel handbook mentions not to use usertags.

That's the current policy, but if you can present a good case for
defining some usertags then we might change.

> I would like your help to catch-up and participate in the Debian kernel
> efforts.
>
> Also, how are feature requests handled ? Currently, I have a couple of feature
> requests which I am tempted to enable but would like to understand the process
> first.

If the feature is an extra module then we normally just go ahead and
enable it. If it's an extra feature in the main kernel image then we
have to consider what the cost is in increased code size, running time,
dynamic memory allocation, etc., because this cost will be paid by
everyone using the official kernel images. You should try to evaluate
what that cost is and send that information to the bug report (which is
then copied to this list) for discussion.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings