Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Bug#381171: Bug#408506: Not all Sound/Alsa devices are created properly under /dev/snd (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/38981-bug-381171-bug-408506-not-all-sound-alsa-devices-created-properly-under-dev-snd.html)

01-16-2008 02:30 PM

Bug#381171: Bug#408506: Not all Sound/Alsa devices are created properly under /dev/snd
 
On Jan 16, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:

> Hmm... I have now found the source of the problem (in bug #408506). On
> machines where it works well, /etc/udev/rules.dev/udev.rules is
> symlinked to ../udev.rules, on machines where it doesn't, it is not
> the case. Adding the symlink solves the problem. So the bug is that
> the udev package did not add that symlink automatically in some
> install/upgrade scenario or removed it during an upgrade or ...
I just do not believe this.

The "/dev/controlC0" bug is caused by broken rules shipped by another
package which I cannot remember. Upgrade all packages which provide udev
rules and it will be fixed.

#381171 is unrelated.

--
ciao,
Marco

Lionel Elie Mamane 01-16-2008 02:55 PM

Bug#381171: Bug#408506: Not all Sound/Alsa devices are created properly under /dev/snd
 
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:30:52PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jan 16, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:

>> Hmm... I have now found the source of the problem (in bug
>> #408506). On machines where it works well,
>> /etc/udev/rules.dev/udev.rules is symlinked to ../udev.rules, on
>> machines where it doesn't, it is not the case. Adding the symlink
>> solves the problem. So the bug is that the udev package did not add
>> that symlink automatically in some install/upgrade scenario or
>> removed it during an upgrade or ...

>I just do not believe this.

Well, the situation is that on the machine where I was having the
problem, there was no /etc/udev/rules.dev/udev.rules . Whether udev
didn't put it (e.g. because the postinst script is not idempotent if
interrupted at an arbitrary point), or whether it disappeared through
disc corruption that did not break anything else, I cannot be sure.

I symlinked it to ../udev.rules on that machine, and now udevtest
/class/sound/controlC0 says:
udev_rules_get_name: rule applied, 'controlC0' becomes 'snd/controlC0'
which I understand as "the problem is fixed". I haven't been in
situation to reboot that machine yet to really test it.

What is it that you "just do not believe"? That adding the symlink
solves the problem or that the symlink was not there?

> The "/dev/controlC0" bug is caused by broken rules shipped by another
> package which I cannot remember.

Why does symlinking /etc/udev/rules.dev/udev.rules to ../udev.rules
fix the problem then?

--
Lionel



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

01-16-2008 02:57 PM

Bug#381171: Bug#408506: Not all Sound/Alsa devices are created properly under /dev/snd
 
On Jan 16, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:

> What is it that you "just do not believe"? That adding the symlink
> solves the problem or that the symlink was not there?
That it's a bug of the udev packages that caused it to not be there.

> Why does symlinking /etc/udev/rules.dev/udev.rules to ../udev.rules
> fix the problem then?
Because either that file or devfs.rules are needed for a correctly
working system.

--
ciao,
Marco


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.