FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Svante Signell
 
Default A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

Hi,

Previously my hard disks were named hda, sda and sdb. Now they are named
sda, sdb and sdc. Is this due to the UUID naming scheme used
in /etc/fstab, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.

dmesg also shows this difference. Where does it originate??
It is somewhat confusing that the names have changed, /dev/hd? are ATA
disks while /dev/sd? are SATA disks??

grub also gets confused:
Setting up grub-pc (1.98+20100602-2) ...
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/hda'.
Generating grub.cfg ...
...

What about the (now commented out) fstab entry giving the usblash the
name sdc??
# /dev/sdc /mnt/usbflash vfat defaults,noauto,user 0 0

(haven't rebooted with this kernel latelty, don't know if the names are
the same)
/sbin/blkid in 2.6.32-2-686
/dev/hda1: LABEL="PRESARIO_RP" UUID="693D-1E3B" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/hda3: UUID="aec662ba-91d0-4201-9bd1-a2e9028cbd41" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/hda2: LABEL="PRESARIO" UUID="F0FC6717FC66D77E" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/hda5: UUID="40a9427a-a676-4ee7-9b8d-817d0be571d1" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/hda6: UUID="fb87eb32-ec18-40c1-93fc-f63f60f39964" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/hda7: UUID="e55cca07-9f99-4df7-bbb1-ac3235d8f600" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/hda8: UUID="10b5957c-8391-4e2a-8d84-a4580990903a" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda1: UUID="3d8bdf26-796b-454b-a993-a664e6cdce63" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="4019FBEB70921E10" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb2: UUID="49edfb8e-87db-447e-bea3-5a6b101ffdd8" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
TYPE="ext3"

/sbin/blkid in 2.6.32-5-686
/dev/sda1: LABEL="PRESARIO_RP" UUID="693D-1E3B" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda3: UUID="aec662ba-91d0-4201-9bd1-a2e9028cbd41" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="PRESARIO" UUID="F0FC6717FC66D77E" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="40a9427a-a676-4ee7-9b8d-817d0be571d1" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda6: UUID="fb87eb32-ec18-40c1-93fc-f63f60f39964" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda7: UUID="e55cca07-9f99-4df7-bbb1-ac3235d8f600" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda8: UUID="10b5957c-8391-4e2a-8d84-a4580990903a" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="3d8bdf26-796b-454b-a993-a664e6cdce63" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="4019FBEB70921E10" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc2: UUID="49edfb8e-87db-447e-bea3-5a6b101ffdd8" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
TYPE="ext3"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1276101566.10288.26.camel@hp.my.own.domain">http://lists.debian.org/1276101566.10288.26.camel@hp.my.own.domain
 
Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Steve Langasek
 
Default A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

> Previously my hard disks were named hda, sda and sdb. Now they are named
> sda, sdb and sdc. Is this due to the UUID naming scheme used
> in /etc/fstab, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
> and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.

No, it's due to the long-running upstream transition away from the IDE
driver framework in the kernel to a generalized framework for
{SCSI,PATA,SATA}. The switch to a UUID naming scheme is done in *response*
to this, recognizing that owing to this transition (as well as other
factors), kernel device names are not stable.

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100609173437.GA12779@dario.dodds.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100609173437.GA12779@dario.dodds.net
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previously my hard disks were named hda, sda and sdb. Now they are named
> sda, sdb and sdc. Is this due to the UUID naming scheme used
> in /etc/fstab, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
> and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.
>
> dmesg also shows this difference. Where does it originate??

The transition from old-style IDE drivers to libata-based drivers. This
is described in the changelog, the NEWS file and in the prompts from the
transition upgrade script.

> It is somewhat confusing that the names have changed, /dev/hd? are ATA
> disks while /dev/sd? are SATA disks??

/dev/hd* are handled by old-style drivers for PATA (IDE) and older PC HD
controllers.

/dev/sd* are handled by the SCSI disk driver and some SCSI or SCSI-like
controller driver. The SCSI-like controller drivers include USB storage
and libata-based drivers for PATA and SATA controllers.

> grub also gets confused:
> Setting up grub-pc (1.98+20100602-2) ...
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/hda'.
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> ...

This is a deficiency in GRUB, but AFAIK it is not critical.

> What about the (now commented out) fstab entry giving the usblash the
> name sdc??
> # /dev/sdc /mnt/usbflash vfat defaults,noauto,user 0 0
[...]

What about it? I'm not going to attempt to parse comments.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking.
- Albert Camus


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100609213343.GQ5306@decadent.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20100609213343.GQ5306@decadent.org.uk
 
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Svante Signell
 
Default A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 22:33 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> >...

Thanks for your clarifying comments (and to Steve Langasek too)

> > What about the (now commented out) fstab entry giving the usbflash the
> > name sdc??
> > # /dev/sdc /mnt/usbflash vfat defaults,noauto,user 0 0
> [...]
>
> What about it? I'm not going to attempt to parse comments.

The question was like: When I install an USB flash disk, what device
name would it be given (I assume /dev/sdd) when commented out. What
would have happened if the entry was not commented out and installing a
USB flash disk? Would udev get into problems?

Thanks anyway! Debian is great!
Svante



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1276122526.10288.36.camel@hp.my.own.domain">http://lists.debian.org/1276122526.10288.36.camel@hp.my.own.domain
 
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 00:28 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 22:33 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> > >...
>
> Thanks for your clarifying comments (and to Steve Langasek too)
>
> > > What about the (now commented out) fstab entry giving the usbflash the
> > > name sdc??
> > > # /dev/sdc /mnt/usbflash vfat defaults,noauto,user 0 0
> > [...]
> >
> > What about it? I'm not going to attempt to parse comments.
>
> The question was like: When I install an USB flash disk, what device
> name would it be given (I assume /dev/sdd) when commented out. What
> would have happened if the entry was not commented out and installing a
> USB flash disk? Would udev get into problems?
>
> Thanks anyway! Debian is great!

Disk device names are assigned by the kernel, not udev. udev also has
nothing to do with /etc/fstab.

You should identify all disks or partitions in /etc/fstab by UUID, label
or a path under /dev/disk/by-id/ or /dev/mapper/ (for LVM).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org