FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default 2.6.32-stable percpu fixes

These commits included in 2.6.32.12:

ea0a09acd81c6d52c77d80f0d4089795df7bcb58 "modules: fix incorrect percpu usage"
d150a2b96558a7349cbf3a72a279c37bc67d50fb "module: fix __module_ref_addr()"

apparently caused regressions, and have been reverted in SLE 11.1 and
Debian unstable.

The second has also now been reverted in 2.6.32.14, but the first has
not. I'm afraid I don't understand the problems they were trying to
solve, or the problems they caused, so could someone explain why the
first should or not should not be reverted in 2.6.32-stable?

(Matthieu previously asked whether it was really correct for 2.6.32:
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/stable-review/2010-April/003571.html )

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Mathieu Desnoyers
 
Default 2.6.32-stable percpu fixes

* Ben Hutchings (ben@decadent.org.uk) wrote:
> These commits included in 2.6.32.12:
>
> ea0a09acd81c6d52c77d80f0d4089795df7bcb58 "modules: fix incorrect percpu usage"
> d150a2b96558a7349cbf3a72a279c37bc67d50fb "module: fix __module_ref_addr()"

In addition to commit d150a2b96558a7349cbf3a72a279c37bc67d50fb, both commits:

ea0a09acd81c6d52c77d80f0d4089795df7bcb58 "modules: fix incorrect percpu usage"
b6b3dcd55e2327a968833ff3f22eda3b8dd7ef9e "lockdep: fix incorrect percpu usage"

Should be reverted from the 2.6.32.x -stable series. Quoting the explanation
from Tejun:

"I wrote on the bugzilla but this is not a compiler bug but the -stable
patch [shouldn't; edit: should] have been applied only to 2.6.33. Not 2.6.32.
This is because till 2.6.32, ia64 hadn't been converted to dynamic percpu
allocator, so its static and dynamic percpu areas were separate and the
per_cpu_ptr() wouldn't do the offsetting the module code expects there. So,
please revert the patch from 2.6.32."

Greg, it looks like we've not been clear enough about the fact that all three
commits needed to be reverted from the 2.6.32.x stable branch. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Mathieu

>
> apparently caused regressions, and have been reverted in SLE 11.1 and
> Debian unstable.
>
> The second has also now been reverted in 2.6.32.14, but the first has
> not. I'm afraid I don't understand the problems they were trying to
> solve, or the problems they caused, so could someone explain why the
> first should or not should not be reverted in 2.6.32-stable?
>
> (Matthieu previously asked whether it was really correct for 2.6.32:
> http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/stable-review/2010-April/003571.html )
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Hutchings
> Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.



--
Mathieu Desnoyers
Operating System Efficiency R&D Consultant
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com
 
Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Greg KH
 
Default 2.6.32-stable percpu fixes

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 08:18:58PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Ben Hutchings (ben@decadent.org.uk) wrote:
> > These commits included in 2.6.32.12:
> >
> > ea0a09acd81c6d52c77d80f0d4089795df7bcb58 "modules: fix incorrect percpu usage"
> > d150a2b96558a7349cbf3a72a279c37bc67d50fb "module: fix __module_ref_addr()"
>
> In addition to commit d150a2b96558a7349cbf3a72a279c37bc67d50fb, both commits:
>
> ea0a09acd81c6d52c77d80f0d4089795df7bcb58 "modules: fix incorrect percpu usage"
> b6b3dcd55e2327a968833ff3f22eda3b8dd7ef9e "lockdep: fix incorrect percpu usage"
>
> Should be reverted from the 2.6.32.x -stable series. Quoting the explanation
> from Tejun:

Sorry, now both taken care of.

greg k-h


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100601164848.GB3602@kroah.com">http://lists.debian.org/20100601164848.GB3602@kroah.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org