FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

Package: linux-2.6
Severity: wishlist

Hello,

2.6.30 introduced a regression where some Thinkpads would not beep
anymore on plugging/unplugging the power chord. See this thread
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=m31vgd2v3h.fsf%40fox.lamasti.ne t
for more info.

The alsa developers came up with a patch[1], but I haven't been able to
test it myself as it won't apply against 2.6.32 from sid or even 2.6.33
from experimental.

If it isn't too much work to backport the patch it would be nice to have
it in squeeze. I could test if needed (assuming I get the rebuild[2]
right), but I lack the skills to do it myself.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=alpine.LNX.2.00.1003261047210 .3925%40eeebox2.perex-int.cz

[2] http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
BTW, there's a minor addition I wanted to do for this page, but it's set immutable...

Regards,
Andrei

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=ro_RO.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=ro_RO.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100516202621.10814.56037.reportbug@think.homelan ">http://lists.debian.org/20100516202621.10814.56037.reportbug@think.homelan
 
Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 23:26 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Package: linux-2.6
> Severity: wishlist
>
> Hello,
>
> 2.6.30 introduced a regression where some Thinkpads would not beep
> anymore on plugging/unplugging the power chord. See this thread
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=m31vgd2v3h.fsf%40fox.lamasti.ne t
> for more info.
>
> The alsa developers came up with a patch[1], but I haven't been able to
> test it myself as it won't apply against 2.6.32 from sid or even 2.6.33
> from experimental.
>
> If it isn't too much work to backport the patch it would be nice to have
> it in squeeze. I could test if needed (assuming I get the rebuild[2]
> right), but I lack the skills to do it myself.
[...]

Sorry, this patch cannot be applied on its own. It depends on other
changes to registration of 'beep' devices, and I'm not yet convinced
that it's worth the risk to backport those changes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

On Mon,17.May.10, 02:48:28, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Sorry, this patch cannot be applied on its own. It depends on other
> changes to registration of 'beep' devices, and I'm not yet convinced
> that it's worth the risk to backport those changes.

Thanks for considering. If there's anything I can do to help please let
me know.

Regards,
Andrei
--
http://nuvreauspam.ro/2010/05/4-neticheta-pe-mail/
 
Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

On Vi, 04 iun 10, 00:46:16, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Version: 2.6.34-1
>
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Mon,17.May.10, 02:48:28, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, this patch cannot be applied on its own. It depends on other
> > > changes to registration of 'beep' devices, and I'm not yet convinced
> > > that it's worth the risk to backport those changes.
> >
> > Thanks for considering. If there's anything I can do to help please let
> > me know.
>
> The patch was merged in 2.6.34, marking that version as fixed.

Do you mean the version in experimental? I'll test as soon as I have
time.

Regards,
Andrei
--
http://nuvreauspam.ro/2010/05/4-neticheta-pe-mail/
 
Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Bjørn Mork
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

Note: the commits I refer below to are taken from
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git


Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> 2.6.30 introduced a regression where some Thinkpads would not beep
> anymore on plugging/unplugging the power chord. See this thread
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=m31vgd2v3h.fsf%40fox.lamasti.ne t
> for more info.
>
> The alsa developers came up with a patch[1], but I haven't been able to
> test it myself as it won't apply against 2.6.32 from sid or even 2.6.33
> from experimental.

That's because it depends on ee6e365e30f7ee89bd214ff1215aaf90e93d4c40
which isn't merged. You may apply that first and then
0bf0e5a6f304ac1bc93a80cdd68b4d91f3519eb5 (which is the patch you refer
to taken from Linus' tree). Together they apply cleanly to 2.6.32.

Or you could try the patch I've attached, which is a backported variant
of 0bf0e5a6f304ac1bc93a80cdd68b4d91f3519eb5, avoiding the change in
ee6e365e30f7ee89bd214ff1215aaf90e93d4c40.

If this does fix a regression in 2.6.32, then I guess it's really more
material for 2.6.32 stable than for Debian kernels directly?



Bjørn
 
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#581876: Please apply upstream patch to fix the beep for some Thinkpad machines

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 09:10 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Note: the commits I refer below to are taken from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>
>
> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 2.6.30 introduced a regression where some Thinkpads would not beep
> > anymore on plugging/unplugging the power chord. See this thread
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=m31vgd2v3h.fsf%40fox.lamasti.ne t
> > for more info.
> >
> > The alsa developers came up with a patch[1], but I haven't been able to
> > test it myself as it won't apply against 2.6.32 from sid or even 2.6.33
> > from experimental.
>
> That's because it depends on ee6e365e30f7ee89bd214ff1215aaf90e93d4c40
> which isn't merged. You may apply that first and then
> 0bf0e5a6f304ac1bc93a80cdd68b4d91f3519eb5 (which is the patch you refer
> to taken from Linus' tree). Together they apply cleanly to 2.6.32.
[...]

But the result won't compile because HDA_CODEC_MUTE_BEEP is not defined.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org