FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Ben Pfaff
 
Default Bug#576608: linux-base: "Invalid output format udev" during configuration

Package: linux-base
Version: 2.6.32-10

During an upgrade that prompted me to replace device names by
UUIDs in /etc/fstab, a few error messages were printed on the
console:

Setting up linux-base (2.6.32-10) ...
Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
device, list, or full
Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
device, list, or full
Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
device, list, or full
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-4-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-686
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

The upgrade did seem to complete smoothly but the error messages
still seem a bit worrisome.

Thanks,

Ben.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87iq8538uc.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org">http://lists.debian.org/87iq8538uc.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org
 
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#576608: linux-base: "Invalid output format udev" during configuration

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 14:09 -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Package: linux-base
> Version: 2.6.32-10
>
> During an upgrade that prompted me to replace device names by
> UUIDs in /etc/fstab, a few error messages were printed on the
> console:
>
> Setting up linux-base (2.6.32-10) ...
> Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
> device, list, or full
> Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
> device, list, or full
> Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
> device, list, or full
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
> Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
> Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
> Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-4-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-1-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1-686
> Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-686
> Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
>
> The upgrade did seem to complete smoothly but the error messages
> still seem a bit worrisome.

The upgrade script calls 'blkid' (part of the util-linux package) to get
information about the existing device labels and UUIDs. This command
supports several different output formats but the 'udev' format works
best for us. It looks like we need to depend on a recent version of
util-linux.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Andras Antos
 
Default Bug#576608: linux-base: "Invalid output format udev" during configuration

Followup-For: Bug #576608
Package: linux-base
Version: 2.6.32-11~bpo50+1

Note that I see the same in the lenny-backports version (on a grub-based
amd64 box):


Setting up linux-base (2.6.32-11~bpo50+1) ...
Invalid output format udev. Choose from value,
device, list, or full
[9 times]
Undefined subroutine &DebianKernel:iskId::_system called at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-base.postinst line 1004, <STDIN> line 10.
dpkg: error processing linux-base (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9

(Plus the bug #576925.)

/etc/fstab is:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda5 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda7 /ubuntu ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda8 /ubuntu/home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda10 /home/big ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda9 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Thank you,
Andras

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 5.0.4
APT prefers proposed-updates
APT policy: (500, 'proposed-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968) (ignored: LC_ALL set to C)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Versions of packages linux-base depends on:
ii debconf [debconf-2.0] 1.5.24 Debian configuration management sy
ii libapt-pkg-perl 0.1.22+b1 Perl interface to libapt-pkg
ii libuuid-perl 0.02-3+b1 Perl extension for using UUID inte

-- debconf information:
linux-base/disk-id-manual-boot-loader:
linux-base/disk-id-manual:
linux-base/disk-id-convert-plan-no-relabel: true
* linux-base/disk-id-convert-auto: true
* linux-base/disk-id-convert-plan: true



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: Pine.LNX.4.64.1004150228370.30835@shannon.szit.bme .hu">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.LNX.4.64.1004150228370.30835@shannon.szit.bme .hu
 
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#576608: linux-base: "Invalid output format udev" during configuration

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 02:31 +0200, Andras Antos wrote:
> Followup-For: Bug #576608
> Package: linux-base
> Version: 2.6.32-11~bpo50+1

This shouldn't be in lenny-backports as 2.6.32-11 is not in testing yet.
There are RC bugs against it which need to be fixed before a new version
transitions.

> Note that I see the same in the lenny-backports version (on a grub-based
> amd64 box):
[...]

This is not at all surprising.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org