Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Mark Glassberg

Default rndis problem

For more than 5 years I have tried to connect my modem/router, a 2Wire
HomePortal 1000SW, to my system over a usb cable. Today I tried the
Mandriva 2010 live cd and the usb connection was recognized and installed
as eth2 automatically. The difference may be the later kernel version.
Mandriva uses 2.6.31.5. If you think it would help understand the problem,
please take a look at the five files in the attacked tar. They are dmesg and
lsmod listings for Lenny and Mandriva, plus the Mandriva kernel config file.

Any assistance, including "wait for 2.6.31.5", would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 15:59 -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> For more than 5 years I have tried to connect my modem/router, a 2Wire
> HomePortal 1000SW, to my system over a usb cable. Today I tried the
> Mandriva 2010 live cd and the usb connection was recognized and installed
> as eth2 automatically. The difference may be the later kernel version.
> Mandriva uses 2.6.31.5. If you think it would help understand the problem,
> please take a look at the five files in the attacked tar. They are dmesg and
> lsmod listings for Lenny and Mandriva, plus the Mandriva kernel config file.
>
> Any assistance, including "wait for 2.6.31.5", would be greatly appreciated.

No need to wait; Linux 2.6.32 is already in Debian unstable and testing.
If you want to continue using Debian 5.0 'lenny' then you can still
install the new kernel version from backports.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Ben Hutchings

Please use 'reply to all'; this is not a private conversation.

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:05:15PM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> I installed and tried linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-
> bpo.2-686, without success. While Mandriva is able to install my modem/
> router as eth2 (I have two ethernet cards), neither of these can.

Maybe we should look at the Mandriva kernel source to see whether they have
a bug fix that isn't included in the mainline kernel.

> I thought that the driver might be a usb gadget, but neither the Mandriva
> nor the Debian kernels have that configured.

'USB gadget' drivers are used on USB devices that run Linux, e.g. on some
ebook readers. They are not used on PCs.

> Attacked is the Mandriva
> /proc/bus/usb/devices file. Note that my device uses rndis_host as its
> driver, but the kernel messages from my old/present kernel which I sent
> yesterday indicate that rndis_host fails to get the "ethaddr."

Yes, I understood that.

> It is possible that my kernel lacks access to the necessary firmware. I
> am attaching a listing of the Mandriva /lib/firmware directory.
[...]

No, no firmware is required.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 21:22 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Please use 'reply to all'; this is not a private conversation.
>
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:05:15PM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> > I installed and tried linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-
> > bpo.2-686, without success. While Mandriva is able to install my modem/
> > router as eth2 (I have two ethernet cards), neither of these can.
>
> Maybe we should look at the Mandriva kernel source to see whether they have
> a bug fix that isn't included in the mainline kernel.
[...]

I don't see any fixes to the rndis_host driver in Mandriva. Please use
'reportbug' to send a bug report to us; it will automatically include
some system information which may help to debug this.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 AM
maximilian attems

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 21:22 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Please use 'reply to all'; this is not a private conversation.
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:05:15PM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> > > I installed and tried linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-
> > > bpo.2-686, without success. While Mandriva is able to install my modem/
> > > router as eth2 (I have two ethernet cards), neither of these can.
> >
> > Maybe we should look at the Mandriva kernel source to see whether they have
> > a bug fix that isn't included in the mainline kernel.
> [...]
>
> I don't see any fixes to the rndis_host driver in Mandriva. Please use
> 'reportbug' to send a bug report to us; it will automatically include
> some system information which may help to debug this.

yes, please reportbug and add working dmesg of mandriva boot in there.

checked their latest patches and nothing did jump out, thanks.

--
maks

Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
maximilian attems

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:59:56AM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 06:46:14AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't see any fixes to the rndis_host driver in Mandriva. Please use
> > > 'reportbug' to send a bug report to us; it will automatically include
> > > some system information which may help to debug this.
> >
> > yes, please reportbug and add working dmesg of mandriva boot in there.
> >
> > checked their latest patches and nothing did jump out, thanks.
> >
> > --
> > maks
> >

> dmesg of mandriva boot:

what did you not get at the reportbug part?
please open a terminal and:

reportbug linux-2.6

thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Mark Glassberg

This is just a guess, and I'm relatively new to Debian, but might the
difference in kernal behavior be related to the fact that the ndiswrapper
module is part of the Mandriva compile process? That module could have
made some ndis code available to their kernel which our's lacks.

Just my two cents,
Mark

Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 11:07 -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> This is just a guess, and I'm relatively new to Debian, but might the
> difference in kernal behavior be related to the fact that the ndiswrapper
> module is part of the Mandriva compile process? That module could have
> made some ndis code available to their kernel which our's lacks.

There is no connection between rndis_host and ndiswrapper.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
maximilian attems

please reply to all, this is not a private conversation, thanks.

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:50:26AM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> As mentioned, I'm relatively new to Debian. I did, however, email a bug
> report with Cc: to the group.
>
> When I entered: reportbug linux-2.6
> I got: -bash: reportbug: command not found

afaik debian installer installs reportbug out of the box,
but in the case that a package is not there use apt-get,
synaptic or whatever tool you prefer to install it.