Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
dann frazier

Default drbd in linux-2.6

drbd maintainers,

As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
is to either:

a) get merged into linux-2.6
b) use the dkms framework

DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
(userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?

I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
at squeeze:
http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/

I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00003.html

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

On 2010-03-30, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> drbd maintainers,
>
> As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
> squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
> is to either:
>
> a) get merged into linux-2.6
> b) use the dkms framework
>
> DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
> option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
> (userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
> drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?
>
> I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
> at squeeze:
> http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/
>
> I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00003.html

I've done the same 3-4 weeks ago and likewise send them the patch for
testing, unfortunately they we unable to test it yet.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
dann frazier

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:45:54PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> On 2010-03-30, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> > drbd maintainers,
> >
> > As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
> > squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
> > is to either:
> >
> > a) get merged into linux-2.6
> > b) use the dkms framework
> >
> > DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
> > option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
> > (userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
> > drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?
> >
> > I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
> > at squeeze:
> > http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.
> >
> > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00003.html
>
> I've done the same 3-4 weeks ago and likewise send them the patch for
> testing, unfortunately they we unable to test it yet.

Oh, sorry - I must've missed that. Did you get a response or just
silence? I was thinking that if we didn't get a response in a couple
of days, I could contact some of the drbd8 bug reporters and see if we
can recruit them to test

--
dann frazier

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 04:02:22PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:45:54PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > On 2010-03-30, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> > > drbd maintainers,
> > >
> > > As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
> > > squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
> > > is to either:
> > >
> > > a) get merged into linux-2.6
> > > b) use the dkms framework
> > >
> > > DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
> > > option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
> > > (userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
> > > drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?
> > >
> > > I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
> > > at squeeze:
> > > http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.
> > >
> > > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00003.html
> >
> > I've done the same 3-4 weeks ago and likewise send them the patch for
> > testing, unfortunately they we unable to test it yet.
>
> Oh, sorry - I must've missed that. Did you get a response or just
> silence? I was thinking that if we didn't get a response in a couple
> of days, I could contact some of the drbd8 bug reporters and see if we
> can recruit them to test

Sorry for the late response, I'm still in VAC more or less.

DRBD maintainers said they wanted to look into it, but one of the
maintainers had a ski accident and AFAICS noone found the time to test
it over the course of the last two months.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
dann frazier

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:31:20AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> drbd maintainers,
>
> As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
> squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
> is to either:
>
> a) get merged into linux-2.6
> b) use the dkms framework
>
> DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
> option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
> (userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
> drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?
>
> I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
> at squeeze:
> http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/
>
> I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.

I didn't hear back from the drbd maintainers, but I did get some
testing feedback from a drbd user (thanks to Lukasz Oles, bcc'd)

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:41:33PM +0200, ?ukasz Ole? wrote:
> I tested drbd in primary/primay mode with ocfs2 on top of it, and it
> seems to work fine. I tried full resynchronization and copying file
> to both nodes and it worked.

My plan is therefore to:
1) Commit these changes for inclusion in the next linux-2.6 upload
2) After that upload, I will file an RC bug to request the removal of
the drbd8-source binary from the drbd8 source package

Comments?

--
dann frazier

Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
dann frazier

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:02:00AM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 04:02:22PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:

> > > I've done the same 3-4 weeks ago and likewise send them the patch for
> > > testing, unfortunately they we unable to test it yet.
> >
> > Oh, sorry - I must've missed that. Did you get a response or just
> > silence? I was thinking that if we didn't get a response in a couple
> > of days, I could contact some of the drbd8 bug reporters and see if we
> > can recruit them to test
>
> Sorry for the late response, I'm still in VAC more or less.
>
> DRBD maintainers said they wanted to look into it, but one of the
> maintainers had a ski accident and AFAICS noone found the time to test
> it over the course of the last two months.

Oh, ok. Just before I read this I sent a message about some positive
test results I got from a DRBD user.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
maximilian attems

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:09:54PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:

> My plan is therefore to:
> 1) Commit these changes for inclusion in the next linux-2.6 upload
> 2) After that upload, I will file an RC bug to request the removal of
> the drbd8-source binary from the drbd8 source package
>
> Comments?

2.6.32-12 is expected soonish once the libata HPA patches are finaly
cooked. I'd prefer to keep that a minimal fix release. So that we can
push -4 into squeeze.

could drdb wait for -13, is that ok?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
dann frazier

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:39:47AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:09:54PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> >
> > My plan is therefore to:
> > 1) Commit these changes for inclusion in the next linux-2.6 upload
> > 2) After that upload, I will file an RC bug to request the removal of
> > the drbd8-source binary from the drbd8 source package
> >
> > Comments?
>
> 2.6.32-12 is expected soonish once the libata HPA patches are finaly
> cooked. I'd prefer to keep that a minimal fix release. So that we can
> push -4 into squeeze.
>
> could drdb wait for -13, is that ok?

Sure.

--
dann frazier

Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
maximilian attems

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010, dann frazier wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:39:47AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> >
> > 2.6.32-12 is expected soonish once the libata HPA patches are finaly
> > cooked. I'd prefer to keep that a minimal fix release. So that we can
> > push -4 into squeeze.
> >
> > could drdb wait for -13, is that ok?
>
> Sure.

in the case that -12 languishes and grows bigger. feel free to ignore.
still some libata patches just got merged upstream and the important
one is about to boil..

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Norbert Tretkowski

Hi Dann,

Am Dienstag, den 06.04.2010, 16:09 -0600 schrieb dann frazier:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:31:20AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.
>
> I didn't hear back from the drbd maintainers, but I did get some
> testing feedback from a drbd user (thanks to Lukasz Oles, bcc'd)

sorry for not coming back to you earlier, I was quite out-of-order for
the last weeks because of a skiing accident.

> My plan is therefore to:
> 1) Commit these changes for inclusion in the next linux-2.6 upload
> 2) After that upload, I will file an RC bug to request the removal of
> the drbd8-source binary from the drbd8 source package

No problem from my side.

Norbert