Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Ales Kozumplik

Default abnormal_exit() method that doesn't forget about switching to tty1.

On 03/29/2010 03:00 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:

Also fixes #577380 for rawhide.
---

I'd like to know what your opinion about this concept is. There's
already been two bugs (#577380, #569071) about anaconda not switching
back to tty1 after an error, but greping 'sys.exit(1)' reveals there
could be tens of those. If you like this patch I will create another one
and apply it for all those cases.

Another reason to get this standardized into one place is the default
error return code---one day we might want to have the computer rebooted
after an error, without waiting for another ctrl-alt-delete. Then we'll
need a special anaconda error code to pass back to loader. This change
is a good opportunity to consolidate this value with a constant somewhere.

Ales

Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Chris Lumens

> Also fixes #577380 for rawhide.
> ---
> constants.py | 2 ++
> exception.py | 7 ++-----
> iutil.py | 10 ++++++++++
> storage/__init__.py | 2 +-

I think you're working on the wrong level here. Couldn't we instead be
doing the vt switch in loader (why loader's involved in the shutdown
process is another story) or perhaps init after anaconda's terminated?
Then we wouldn't have to worry with changing every single exit in
anaconda.

- Chris

Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Chris Lumens

> What makes the VT switch in the first place? Is it loader? In my opinion
> it is cleaner (and easier to understand) if the switch back it done at
> the same level (ie. init, loader, anaconda, whatever) that initiated the
> change.

Starting X causes the VT switch.

This reminds me - the installed system runs X on vt1. We should
probably start doing the same on master.

- Chris