Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Default DKMS not always working

[ Please cc me I'm not subscribed to debian-kernel ]

Hi,

in the last upgrades the auto-compilation of the virtualbox-ose module did
not work for me.

Since the auto-compilation on boot got removed, we must ensure that it's
properly compiled by the postinst of the linux-image package and there's
no guaranty that it's possible since the linux-headers might not (yet) be
installed. As it happens, I have linux-headers-2.6-amd64 installed and
the headers are installed during upgrades... but they might be installed
after the linux-image is configured apparently.

Thus I believe it would be useful for DKMS to hook into the postinst of
the linux-headers packages too to ensure that modules are built for the
corresponding linux-image package too.

Feel free to feed this mail in the BTS if you believe that my analysis is
accurate. Otherwise, can someone tell me why that autocompilation feature
did not work in the latest upgrades?

Cheers,
--
RaphaŽl Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/

Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 12:04 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> [ Please cc me I'm not subscribed to debian-kernel ]
>
> Hi,
>
> in the last upgrades the auto-compilation of the virtualbox-ose module did
> not work for me.
>
> Since the auto-compilation on boot got removed, we must ensure that it's
> properly compiled by the postinst of the linux-image package and there's
> no guaranty that it's possible since the linux-headers might not (yet) be
> installed. As it happens, I have linux-headers-2.6-amd64 installed and
> the headers are installed during upgrades... but they might be installed
> after the linux-image is configured apparently.
>
> Thus I believe it would be useful for DKMS to hook into the postinst of
> the linux-headers packages too to ensure that modules are built for the
> corresponding linux-image package too.
[...]

This is wishlist bug #569724. I do intend to add this some time soon.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings