FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Bug#575226: firmware-linux-nonfree: firmware shipped in 0.23 cause radeonhd xorg drivers to be unusable with RV770

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40:36 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Regarding X, only xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg,
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon was recently upgraded.

The latest xserver-xorg-video-radeon package enables kernel mode
setting. This is incompatible with the radeonhd X driver. You should
use the radeon driver instead.

Cheers,
Julien
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Brice Goglin
 
Default Bug#575226: firmware-linux-nonfree: firmware shipped in 0.23 cause radeonhd xorg drivers to be unusable with RV770

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:51:40PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>
> I did not know that. To me, it seemed like radeonhd driver was the future and
> radeon some kind of legacy driver. Apparently, it is not.

It was the future until radeon included its own support for r500+ boards.
For some time, both had their advantages and drawbacks. But now KMS/DRI2
(and probably r800 support too) is only in radeon. And radeonhd gets pretty
much no development anymore.

> I think it should be documented somewhere.

I just updated the radeon NEWS file accordingly.

> And considering the results of
> running firmware-linux-nonfree with xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd (blank
> screen,, maybe it would be nice to add a conflict against xserver-xorg-video-
> radeonhd and a suggest in favor of xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

I think radeonhd should work a recent firmware and libdrm if KMS is
disabled. So this conflicts would be wrong.

Brice



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100324142137.GA13241@loulous.org">http://lists.debian.org/20100324142137.GA13241@loulous.org
 
Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Bug#575226: firmware-linux-nonfree: firmware shipped in 0.23 cause radeonhd xorg drivers to be unusable with RV770

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 14:51:40 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> severity 575226 minor
> retitle 575226 firmware-linux-nonfree 0.23 is in conflict with xserver-xorg-
> video-radeonhd and should suggest xserver-xorg-video-radeon
> thanks

firmware-linux-nonfree has nothing to do with this.

> Le mercredi 24 mars 2010, Julien Cristau a écrit :
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40:36 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > > Regarding X, only xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg,
> > > xserver-xorg-video-radeon was recently upgraded.
> >
> > The latest xserver-xorg-video-radeon package enables kernel mode
> > setting. This is incompatible with the radeonhd X driver. You should
> > use the radeon driver instead.
>
> I did not know that. To me, it seemed like radeonhd driver was the future and
> radeon some kind of legacy driver. Apparently, it is not.
>
Right, radeonhd is dying at this point.

> I switched to the radeon driver and now it works (only with the latest
> kernel).
>
> I think it should be documented somewhere. And considering the results of
> running firmware-linux-nonfree with xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd (blank
> screen), maybe it would be nice to add a conflict against xserver-xorg-video-
> radeonhd and a suggest in favor of xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
If nothing else, it will be documented in radeon's NEWS.Debian file
(http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/driver/xserver-xorg-video-ati.git;a=blob;f=debian/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.NEWS),
and probably in the release notes for squeeze.

Cheers,
Julien
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Mathieu Roy
 
Default Bug#575226: firmware-linux-nonfree: firmware shipped in 0.23 cause radeonhd xorg drivers to be unusable with RV770

Le mercredi 24 mars 2010, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 14:51:40 +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > severity 575226 minor
> > retitle 575226 firmware-linux-nonfree 0.23 is in conflict with
> > xserver-xorg- video-radeonhd and should suggest xserver-xorg-video-radeon
> > thanks
>
> firmware-linux-nonfree has nothing to do with this.

I get your point.

The real issue is having both firmware-linux-nonfree and radeonhd installed,
as radeonhd will automatically call the firmware contained in firmware-linux-
nonfree, which will result in a blank screen (not very user friendly).

Maybe it is best if radeonhd driver include a conflict against firmware-linux-
nonfree > 0.22, so the issue remains fully in the responsible hands of
radeonhd people. I cannot say. Feel free to reassign back the bug to radeonhd
in that case.

I spent quite some time to find out exactly why it stopped working this
morning (and since you get a blank screen with no way back to the console, you
have to reboot at each failure), I'd just like to avoid other users to waste
their time the same way. It does not matter to me whether it is achieved by
adding a conflit in one package control file or another.


> > I think it should be documented somewhere. And considering the results of
> > running firmware-linux-nonfree with xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd (blank
> > screen), maybe it would be nice to add a conflict against
> > xserver-xorg-video- radeonhd and a suggest in favor of
> > xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
> If nothing else, it will be documented in radeon's NEWS.Debian file
> (http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/driver/xserver-xorg-video-ati.git;a=blob
> ;f=debian/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.NEWS), and probably in the release
> notes for squeeze.

That's good.
It would make sense to also mention it in xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd or
firmware-linux-nonfree, since it is unusual to look unused packages docs to
find out solutions about the one we use (I mean, if you encounter the bug only
when using radeonhd driver, you are likely to check NEWS and README for
radeonhd and all the other pieces of software you rely on, instead of looking
in the NEWS of the alternatives).

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003241606.49048@bender.stalag13.ici">http://lists.debian.org/201003241606.49048@bender.stalag13.ici
 
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Mathieu Roy
 
Default Bug#575226: firmware-linux-nonfree: firmware shipped in 0.23 cause radeonhd xorg drivers to be unusable with RV770

Le mercredi 24 mars 2010, Brice Goglin a écrit :
> > And considering the results of
> > running firmware-linux-nonfree with xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd (blank
> > screen,, maybe it would be nice to add a conflict against
> > xserver-xorg-video- radeonhd and a suggest in favor of
> > xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
> I think radeonhd should work a recent firmware and libdrm if KMS is
> disabled. So this conflicts would be wrong.

Ok. In that case, radeonhd should first test whether KMS is enabled and behave
accordingly - or at least send a warning to the user.


--
Mathieu Roy




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201003241611.47587@bender.stalag13.ici">http://lists.debian.org/201003241611.47587@bender.stalag13.ici
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org