-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Requirements for inclusion in firmware-linux-nonfree (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/340989-requirements-inclusion-firmware-linux-nonfree.html)

Bjørn Mork 03-13-2010 10:27 AM

Requirements for inclusion in firmware-linux-nonfree

This is probably answered somewhere, but I just can't find it right now:
what are the actual requirements for including a firmware which is
distributed from kernel.org in the Debian package firmware-linux-nonfree?

The reason I ask is because I was a bit surprised to find that my
edgeport usb serial adapter stopped working after upgrading from
2.6.26-2 to 2.6.32-3. I knew the firmware had been moved outside the
driver and into the firmware/ directory of the upstream kernel source,
so I thought that installing firmware-linux-nonfree would solve this.
I then found bug #548745 and the question arised. Why can't Debian
distribute something that is distributed from kernel.org, not even in
non-free? Is that restriction really gaining anyone?

Well, not really a problem to me. I can get the firmware from the
upstream kernel source. But I assume other users may have more problems
with this. And I believe that such self-imposed unnecessary
restrictions are only causing harm to Debian.

Bjørn