Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
M G Berberich

Default linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64 (2.6.33-1~experimental.3) uninstallable

http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64

depends:
linux-kbuild-2.6.33
Package not available

MfG
bmg

--
„Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!“ | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de

Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 AM
maximilian attems

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:30:42PM +0100, M G Berberich wrote:
> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64
>
> depends:
> linux-kbuild-2.6.33
> Package not available

and?

what is the purpose of your message?

which part of the meaning "experimental" is unobvious enough?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 AM
M G Berberich

Am Samstag, den 13. März schrieb maximilian attems:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:30:42PM +0100, M G Berberich wrote:
> > http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64
> >
> > depends:
> > linux-kbuild-2.6.33
> > Package not available
>
> and?
>
> what is the purpose of your message?
>
> which part of the meaning "experimental" is unobvious enough?

It is meant as: “packages and tools which are still being developed,
and are still in the alpha testing stage.“

It surely shouldn't be a trash-heap for packages that cannot even be
installed, because someone forget to upload the dependies.

MfG
bmg

Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM
maximilian attems

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, M G Berberich wrote:

> It is meant as: “packages and tools which are still being developed,
> and are still in the alpha testing stage.“
>
> It surely shouldn't be a trash-heap for packages that cannot even be
> installed, because someone forget to upload the dependies.

linux-2.6 images can be installed on their own, this is the point
of the linux-2.6 upload to experimental.

why would you need kbuild of that version? aboves message has no
usage claim at all.

it would be very easy to build if it be really needed, for anyone, see
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
M G Berberich

Am Samstag, den 13. März schrieb maximilian attems:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, M G Berberich wrote:
>

> > It is meant as: “packages and tools which are still being developed,
> > and are still in the alpha testing stage.“
> >
> > It surely shouldn't be a trash-heap for packages that cannot even be
> > installed, because someone forget to upload the dependies.
>
> linux-2.6 images can be installed on their own, this is the point
> of the linux-2.6 upload to experimental.
>
> why would you need kbuild of that version? aboves message has no
> usage claim at all.

I can't install the headers to the kernel, because
linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64 depends on (not available)
linux-kbuild-2.6.33 and the headers are neccessary to build modules
for the kernel.

And I don't see the benefit of uploading linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64
to the repository if it cannot be installed.

> it would be very easy to build if it be really needed, for anyone, see
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

Yes.

MfG
bmg

Old 03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
maximilian attems

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 07:32:57PM +0100, M G Berberich wrote:

> I can't install the headers to the kernel, because
> linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64 depends on (not available)
> linux-kbuild-2.6.33 and the headers are neccessary to build modules
> for the kernel.
>
> And I don't see the benefit of uploading linux-headers-2.6.33-2-amd64
> to the repository if it cannot be installed.

you seem not to get it that kbuild is built from a different package
then the headers. What we care about is the linux-images.

you presented zero use case, conversation is over.

> > it would be very easy to build if it be really needed, for anyone, see
> > http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
>
> Yes.

indeed, have fun.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Christian Hammers

Hello

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, M G Berberich wrote:

>> It is meant as: “packages and tools which are still being developed,
>> and are still in the alpha testing stage.“
>>
>> It surely shouldn't be a trash-heap for packages that cannot even be
>> installed, because someone forget to upload the dependies.
>
> linux-2.6 images can be installed on their own, this is the point
> of the linux-2.6 upload to experimental.
>
> why would you need kbuild of that version? aboves message has no
> usage claim at all.

A rather late reply to a mail I found in the archives... but regarding
the usage claim, I would like to mention that people who use e.g. the
nvidia binary driver do not have much fun with the experimental kernel
images without the corresponding linux-kbuild package.

Although one can find
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
after some googling, it would be nice if the package would be uploaded
as well.

bye,

-christian-

Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM
maximilian attems

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:33:42PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:

> A rather late reply to a mail I found in the archives... but regarding
> the usage claim, I would like to mention that people who use e.g. the
> nvidia binary driver do not have much fun with the experimental kernel
> images without the corresponding linux-kbuild package.

binary out of tree stuff is not our focus, use nouveau.

and woow this is a DD email adress, you can't be serious.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Manoj Srivastava

On Sun, Apr 11 2010, maximilian attems wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:33:42PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
>>
>> A rather late reply to a mail I found in the archives... but regarding
>> the usage claim, I would like to mention that people who use e.g. the
>> nvidia binary driver do not have much fun with the experimental kernel
>> images without the corresponding linux-kbuild package.
>>

> binary out of tree stuff is not our focus, use nouveau.

Or just use make-kpkg. It does not care where you get the kernel
sources from; it just builds the packages. Works from git, or the
official kernel sources, and with nvidia as well.

> and woow this is a DD email adress, you can't be serious.

Seriously, I use nvidia non-free drivers as well. I can affirm
that I can pull from stable, or Linus' tree, and build kernel images
and nvidia modules. My usual sequence of action is to

,----
| % cd /usr/local/src/kernel/linus-tree.git
| % git fetch stable
| % git co -b my-machine-v2.6.33.2 v2.6.33.2
| % make oldconfig
| % ./.compile_command
| % sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb
`----

Where .compile command looks like:

,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| export MODULE_LOC=/usr/local/src/kernel/modules
|
| # Optionally, refresh the nvidia module
| # rm -rf ${MODULE_LOC}/nvidia-kernel
| # (cd /usr/local/src/kernel; tar jfx /usr/src/nvidia-kernel.tar.bz2
|
| # make sure we get a machine specific name for the image, even if
| # I forgot toe specify one on the command line
| ev=$(uname -n)
|
| # Use the version extension given on the command line, if any
| if [ -n "$1" ]; then
| ev=$1
| fi
|
| make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --append-to-version=-$ev kernel_image
| fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-$ev modules_image
`----

Once you have your variant of .compile_command, building kernels
and nvidia packages is painless :-)

manoj
--
Exceptions prove the rule, and wreck the budget. Miller
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20 05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C

Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
maximilian attems

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:13:15AM -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Seriously, I use nvidia non-free drivers as well. I can affirm
> that I can pull from stable, or Linus' tree, and build kernel images
> and nvidia modules. My usual sequence of action is to

yes indeed you lost *all* of my respect, when you were crying out
about firmware issues in linux-2.6, did zero work on it,
and then run an immense blob in ring 0.

not happy that you are still doing although nouveau is shaping up.
dude you are very inconsistent.

BTW i saw no thank you from your side for the work that Ben did in
linux-2.6, porting drivers to request_firmware, firmware relicensing.
so until that any mail from you may be ignored.