FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#573176: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686: cannot be installed

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:29:55PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> Package: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686
> Version: 2.6.33-1~experimental.2
> Severity: grave
> Justification: renders package unusable

Please don't make such a fuss about experimental.

> hi,
>
> this package depends on linux-kbuild-2.6.33 that though does not exist
>
> (this is problematic for me, since my video card is not supported
> by nv, so I have to compile the nvidia module)

Why aren't you using nouveau?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100309191307.GK2763@decadent.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20100309191307.GK2763@decadent.org.uk
 
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
A Mennucc
 
Default Bug#573176: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686: cannot be installed

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:13:08PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:29:55PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> > Package: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686
> > Version: 2.6.33-1~experimental.2
> > Severity: grave
> > Justification: renders package unusable
>
> Please don't make such a fuss about experimental.

I do not intend to make a fuss.
When I invoked reportbug, I carefully looked into the
description of severities, and the description for "grave" is
grave : makes the package in question unusable by most or all users
and moreover reportbug clarifies that the justification to choose is
renders package unusable : renders the package unusable, [...]
; or renders package uninstallable [...]
and this is exactly the case. If you do not like the severity
descriptions, then you should complain to people who are in charge of
them.

> > this package depends on linux-kbuild-2.6.33 that though does not exist
> >
> > (this is problematic for me, since my video card is not supported
> > by nv, so I have to compile the nvidia module)
>
> Why aren't you using nouveau?

FYI, because my chipset is 9400M, and nouveau is not supporting it yet.
9400M is the chipset used in Apple MacBooks; so this is a high
priority bug at
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18638
but it is also 2 years old and unfixed.

And, BTW, the vesa X driver presents a blurred screen that really
sucks, texts are hardly readable.

a.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100310093902.GA29984@tonelli.sns.it">http://lists.debian.org/20100310093902.GA29984@tonelli.sns.it
 
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#573176: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686: cannot be installed

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 10:39 +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:13:08PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 04:29:55PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> > > Package: linux-headers-2.6.33-2-686
> > > Version: 2.6.33-1~experimental.2
> > > Severity: grave
> > > Justification: renders package unusable
> >
> > Please don't make such a fuss about experimental.
>
> I do not intend to make a fuss.
> When I invoked reportbug, I carefully looked into the
> description of severities, and the description for "grave" is
> grave : makes the package in question unusable by most or all users
> and moreover reportbug clarifies that the justification to choose is
> renders package unusable : renders the package unusable, [...]
> ; or renders package uninstallable [...]
> and this is exactly the case. If you do not like the severity
> descriptions, then you should complain to people who are in charge of
> them.

This is correct severity. However, it is not necessary to report every
bug that exists in experimental.

> > > this package depends on linux-kbuild-2.6.33 that though does not exist
> > >
> > > (this is problematic for me, since my video card is not supported
> > > by nv, so I have to compile the nvidia module)
> >
> > Why aren't you using nouveau?
>
> FYI, because my chipset is 9400M, and nouveau is not supporting it yet.
> 9400M is the chipset used in Apple MacBooks; so this is a high
> priority bug at
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18638
> but it is also 2 years old and unfixed.

Did you enable KMS?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org