Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
"Edward C. Jones"

Default Screen shifted left for Intel 13-530 clarkdale graphic unit and Acer AL2016W monitor

I have a new computer with an Intel DH55TC Motherboard and a i3-730
chip. The built-in GPU is called "Clarksdale". Attempts to install
the i386 Stable distribution failed because the installer could not find
the DVD reader. I was able to install the i386 Testing distribution. I
have an Acer AL2106W monitor with a length/width of 1.6. When I boot
the system, neither KDE nor the _console_ are centered on the monitor.
They are too large in the vertical direction by about 1/2 cm (1/3 in).
The display is shifted to the left by about 6 cm (2.5 in) so the left
part of the screen is invisible and there is a black area on the right.
The fonts are poor. I tried a smaller mode with a 1.6 ratio which also
failed. If I create a Xorg.conf with the largest mode being 1280x1024
instead of 1680x1050, X works but the screen is stretched. This does
not fix the console problem.

Google shows that many people have had X configuration problems with
this monitor. But I am also having the same problem with the console.
Since drivers are often in the kernel, I am writing to debian-kernel.
Have I found a bug? Anyone know how to solve my problem?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 11:35 -0500, Edward C. Jones wrote:
[...]
> Google shows that many people have had X configuration problems with
> this monitor.

Please provide URLs; I can't find them.

> But I am also having the same problem with the console.
> Since drivers are often in the kernel, I am writing to debian-kernel.
> Have I found a bug? Anyone know how to solve my problem?

We have now enabled KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) for Intel GPUs, so the
mode setup is indeed done by the i915 driver in the kernel.

This sounds more like a bug in the monitor firmware than a bug in the
driver... but still, it is probably possible for the driver to work
around it. I suggest you report a bug at
<http://bugzilla.freedesktop.org> under product 'DRI', component
'DRM/Intel'.

Ben.

--