Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Uwe Kleine-König

Default failure to remove+purge debian package generated by make deb-pkg

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:29:11PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > I created and successfully installed a custom kernel package using
> > $(make deb-pkg).
> >
> > Then after a failed boot test I removed it and then thought that I
> > actually want to purge it.
> >
> > Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.33-rc8-rt, doesn't exist.
> > run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
>
> It has nothing to do with the kernel package itself. The problem is in the
> maintainer scripts that are run as hooks from /etc/kernel/*.d.
>
> The kernel package built by deb-pkg does not have any maintainer scripts of
> itself. All it does is run whatever is in the hooks. As custom kernels may
> have other requirements than distro ones it's not surprising that the
> distro hooks can throw errors [1].
>
> Personally I use a set of custom hook scripts with my deb-pkg kernels.
> Simply because I don't want to have to fix issues that are the result of
> the distro hook scripts in /etc/kernel.
>
> You can simply use custom hook scripts by doing e.g:
> export KDEB_HOOKDIR=/etc/kernel.custom
> before calling 'make deb-pkg'. You can then create your own hook scripts
> in /etc/kernel.custom/{pre,post}{inst,rm}.d/.
Actually I think it would be nice if the default configuration just
works.

I did some research and I concluded it's the fault of
/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools. I think it should have the
following lines:

# skip on purge
[ "$DEB_MAINT_PARAMS" = "remove" ] || exit 0

I will report a bug against initramfs-tools.

> [1] Although in this case I would say that the initrd could also simply be
> removed using 'rm -f' so it does not fail if it does not exist.
> You could file a BR against the package that installed that particular hook
> script, probably initramfs-tools.
Actually this is my problem, the hook fails because the initrd is
missing.

Best regards and thanks
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |

Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Uwe Kleine-König

Hello,

> I did some research and I concluded it's the fault of
> /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools. I think it should have the
> following lines:
>
> # skip on purge
> [ "$DEB_MAINT_PARAMS" = "remove" ] || exit 0
>
> I will report a bug against initramfs-tools.
It's already fixed in 072ad3179c526b90b57719e127de851182b04c4c[1] ==
0.93.4-16-g02cb277.

Should I report the problem anyhow?

Best regards
Uwe