Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Bug#570279: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64: dumpcap ethX causes a kernel panic (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/332772-bug-570279-linux-image-2-6-30-2-amd64-dumpcap-ethx-causes-kernel-panic.html)

Ben Hutchings 02-27-2010 01:34 AM

Bug#570279: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64: dumpcap ethX causes a kernel panic
 
On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 21:07 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> Package: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64
> Version: 2.6.30-8squeeze1
> Severity: normal
>
> excause me if i am reporting this bug in wrong place. dumpcap eth3
> crashes my system. kernel panic occurs. logs provided as attachments
> (sorry it is picture, but in this situation it is hard to get logs in
> usual way)
[...]

And what is the driver for eth3? Is it vmnet?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because
they heard someone else explain it. - E*Borg on alt.fan.pratchett

Ben Hutchings 02-27-2010 07:29 PM

Bug#570279: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64: dumpcap ethX causes a kernel panic
 
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Mark Poks <markpoks@gmail.com>
To: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Subject: Re: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64: dumpcap ethX causes a kernel panic
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:06:04 +0100

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 03:34, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
wrote:
On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 21:07 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> Package: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64
> Version: 2.6.30-8squeeze1
> Severity: normal
>
> excause me if i am reporting this bug in wrong place. dumpcap
eth3
> crashes my system. kernel panic occurs. logs provided as
attachments
> (sorry it is picture, but in this situation it is hard to get
logs in
> usual way)

[...]

And what is the driver for eth3? Is it vmnet?
[...]

hi,
surely it's not vmnet. I have r8169 under eth3 - standard realtek
ethernet card (lspci below).


on my home computer (squeeze 64 bit), system freezes when trying to
capture network packages, on my work computer (etch 32 bit)
it reboots immediatelly.


previously i've had lenny 32 bit on my work computer and from time to
time it did not crash while trying to capture packets, but even when
did, only application (wireshark) crashed, not whole system.


i also have tried to capture with vmnet module removed but it didn't
help anyway.


if more informations are needed, don't hestiate to ask for.


cheers,
mark


lspaci:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 27
I/O ports at de00 [size=256]
Memory at fdfff000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at fdfe0000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fdf00000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169



--
Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation:
Among economists, the real world is often a special case.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1267302550.16186.82.camel@localhost">http://lists.debian.org/1267302550.16186.82.camel@localhost

Ben Hutchings 02-27-2010 07:39 PM

Bug#570279: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64: dumpcap ethX causes a kernel panic
 
On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 11:06 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 03:34, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 21:07 +0100, Mark Poks wrote:
> > Package: linux-image-2.6.30-2-amd64
> > Version: 2.6.30-8squeeze1
> > Severity: normal
> >
> > excause me if i am reporting this bug in wrong place.
> dumpcap eth3
> > crashes my system. kernel panic occurs. logs provided as
> attachments
> > (sorry it is picture, but in this situation it is hard to
> get logs in
> > usual way)
>
> [...]
>
> And what is the driver for eth3? Is it vmnet?
> [...]
>
> hi,
> surely it's not vmnet. I have r8169 under eth3 - standard realtek
> ethernet card (lspci below).
>
>
> on my home computer (squeeze 64 bit), system freezes when trying to
> capture network packages, on my work computer (etch 32 bit)
> it reboots immediatelly.

etch is no longer supported and nor is Linux 2.6.30, so let's
concentrate on lenny and squeeze. Please test either the current kernel
version from unstable (2.6.32-9) or stable-security (2.6.26-21lenny3).

> previously i've had lenny 32 bit on my work computer and from time to
> time it did not crash while trying to capture packets, but even when
> did, only application (wireshark) crashed, not whole system.
>
>
> i also have tried to capture with vmnet module removed but it didn't
> help anyway.

A bug in a kernel module can cause a crash even after it is removed.
While investigating this bug, please ensure that vmnet is never loaded.

> if more informations are needed, don't hestiate to ask for.

The kernel will almost always log some messages when it crashes, but
these cannot be stored to a log file because the system stops. Please
use a serial console to record the messages
<http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/serial-console.txt>, or run the
capture program from a text console and photograph the on-screen
messages.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation:
Among economists, the real world is often a special case.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.