Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Uwe Kleine-König

Default failure to remove+purge debian package generated by make deb-pkg

Hello,

I created and successfully installed a custom kernel package using
$(make deb-pkg).

Then after a failed boot test I removed it and then thought that I
actually want to purge it. Here's the result:

user@host:~$ sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt
(Reading database ... 153356 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt ...
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-2.6.33-rc8-rt

user@host:~$ sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt
(Reading database ... 150555 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt ...
Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt ...
Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.33-rc8-rt, doesn't exist.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt (--purge):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
linux-image-2.6.33-rc8-rt

I didn't check if the problem is the package or initramfs-tools
(0.93.4).

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |

Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Frans Pop

Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> I created and successfully installed a custom kernel package using
> $(make deb-pkg).
>
> Then after a failed boot test I removed it and then thought that I
> actually want to purge it.
>
> Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.33-rc8-rt, doesn't exist.
> run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1

It has nothing to do with the kernel package itself. The problem is in the
maintainer scripts that are run as hooks from /etc/kernel/*.d.

The kernel package built by deb-pkg does not have any maintainer scripts of
itself. All it does is run whatever is in the hooks. As custom kernels may
have other requirements than distro ones it's not surprising that the
distro hooks can throw errors [1].

Personally I use a set of custom hook scripts with my deb-pkg kernels.
Simply because I don't want to have to fix issues that are the result of
the distro hook scripts in /etc/kernel.

You can simply use custom hook scripts by doing e.g:
export KDEB_HOOKDIR=/etc/kernel.custom
before calling 'make deb-pkg'. You can then create your own hook scripts
in /etc/kernel.custom/{pre,post}{inst,rm}.d/.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Although in this case I would say that the initrd could also simply be
removed using 'rm -f' so it does not fail if it does not exist.
You could file a BR against the package that installed that particular hook
script, probably initramfs-tools.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Frans Pop

On Monday 01 March 2010, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> It's already fixed in 072ad3179c526b90b57719e127de851182b04c4c[1] ==
> 0.93.4-16-g02cb277.
>
> Should I report the problem anyhow?

That would seem rather pointless.

Cheers,