Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Bruno Melo

Default stable kernel

Hi,
I would suggest for the release of the stable, the kernel more stable. For example, currently the most stable version of 2.6.26 kernel is 2.6.26.8. I think Debian Squeeze should use the kernel more stable, and then you create the your stability for the kernel, making the OS much more stable. Because the kernel on my Lenny is very buggy! Currently the most stable version of 2.6.32 kernel is 2.6.32.8 for use on the Squeeze!!

However, Debian is to be congratulated, I only beg more stability for the Linux kernel! ;D

Thanks

--
Dharc Thoirs
Tel:3413-9089

Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 23:36 -0200, Bruno Melo wrote:
> Hi,
> I would suggest for the release of the stable, the kernel more stable.
> For example, currently the most stable version of 2.6.26 kernel is
> 2.6.26.8. I think Debian Squeeze should use the kernel more stable,
> and then you create the your stability for the kernel, making the OS
> much more stable. Because the kernel on my Lenny is very buggy!
> Currently the most stable version of 2.6.32 kernel is 2.6.32.8 for use
> on the Squeeze!!
> However, Debian is to be congratulated, I only beg more stability for
> the Linux kernel! ;D

We do apply stable updates, but we do not change the kernel version as
reported by 'uname -r' every time we do this. Every time we do this,
users need to recompile any extra modules they use. We change the
kernel version only when the module ABI changes, and we try to avoid
such changes.

With lenny we are the only distribution using 2.6.26 and we have had
difficulty in getting fixes for bugs. The stable update series for
2.6.26 ended long ago. However, with squeeze we will use 2.6.32 which
will also be used in Ubuntu and Red Hat long-term supported releases.
We hope that this will result in most important bugs being fixed
quickly.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.