FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Simon Richter
 
Default Bug#535131: closed by maximilian attems ( Bug#535131: linux-image-2.6.30-1-686: b43 driver claims support for unsupported device)

Hi,

apparently the driver has gained actual support for LP-PHY based devices
since, so not reopening bug.

> also this seems just user error just blacklist said module

I disagree. It is not a "user error" if a kernel module is loaded for a
piece of hardware because it declares support for the hardware in its
device table, and subsequently fails to initialize because it does not
actually support the hardware.

> if you prefer to use out of tree binary junk.

It certainly wasn't preference.

> fail to see a bug here.

The bug at that point in time was that an entry was added to the device
table that could not ever work because the probe function explicitly
rejected the device.

Simon



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Bastian Blank
 
Default Bug#535131: closed by maximilian attems ( Bug#535131: linux-image-2.6.30-1-686: b43 driver claims support for unsupported device)

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 09:38:01PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> > also this seems just user error just blacklist said module
> I disagree. It is not a "user error" if a kernel module is loaded for a
> piece of hardware because it declares support for the hardware in its
> device table, and subsequently fails to initialize because it does not
> actually support the hardware.

The b43 driver does not claim devices it does not know. However the
binary driver want to control the ssb bridge, which is a different
device.

Bastian

--
Deflector shields just came on, Captain.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Simon Richter
 
Default Bug#535131: closed by maximilian attems ( Bug#535131: linux-image-2.6.30-1-686: b43 driver claims support for unsupported device)

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:

> The b43 driver does not claim devices it does not know.

Not anymore. It did at the time of the original bug report.

Simon



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100214235310.GB21715@honey.hogyros.de">http://lists.debian.org/20100214235310.GB21715@honey.hogyros.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org