FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default console resolution

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:14:07PM +0330, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to use vga=xxx on the kernel parameters line in etch and in lenny
> to set the console resolution. I used to add it to
>
> #defopts= ...
>
> line in Grub's menu.lst and then update-grub. Now I have installed
> squeeze and can't figure out how to do it. What is the equivalent of
> vga=xxx in Grub 2?

The GRUB 2 defaults are in /etc/default/grub.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Nima Azarbayjany
 
Default console resolution

Okay. But the problem really does not seem to be Grub. It's I think
the kernel which is refusing the vga=xxx option. It seems to have been
replaced by something else. A message is printed but it disapears so
fast that I can't see it.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Nima Azarbayjany
 
Default console resolution

Hi,

I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things seem to
work fine right now.


I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the
console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed at
the startup says. What should be passed to the kernel instead of, for
example, vga=0x361? Let me add that I have upgraded the kernel to
2.6.32 from sid.


Thanks.

Nima


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Jeffrey Cao
 
Default console resolution

On 2010-01-22, Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things seem to
> work fine right now.
>
> I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the
> console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed at
> the startup says. What should be passed to the kernel instead of, for
> example, vga=0x361? Let me add that I have upgraded the kernel to
> 2.6.32 from sid.
>
For the new grub, edit the file /etc/default/grub, add the following line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"

And then run 'update-grub' to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Jeffrey


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Javier Barroso
 
Default console resolution

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,



I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things seem to work fine right now.



I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed at the startup says. *What should be passed to the kernel instead of, for example, vga=0x361? *Let me add that I have upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32 from sid.

Seem like gfxpayload is the substitute, but now I can't find where is the doc (it doesn't appear in kernel-parameters.txt).

Regards,
 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
green
 
Default console resolution

Nima Azarbayjany wrote at 2010-01-22 06:08 -0600:
> I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things seem
> to work fine right now.
>
> I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the
> console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed
> at the startup says. What should be passed to the kernel instead
> of, for example, vga=0x361? Let me add that I have upgraded the
> kernel to 2.6.32 from sid.

I removed 'vga=' and now I get a full 1400x1050 on a T61 (using
linux-source-2.6.32). Excellent!
 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default console resolution

On 2010-01-22 at 08:26:27 -0500, Jeffrey Cao wrote:
> On 2010-01-22, Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things seem to
> > work fine right now.
> >
> > I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the
> > console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed at
> > the startup says. What should be passed to the kernel instead of, for
> > example, vga=0x361? Let me add that I have upgraded the kernel to
> > 2.6.32 from sid.
>
> For the new grub, edit the file /etc/default/grub, add the following line:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"
>
> And then run 'update-grub' to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Thanks, Jeffrey. I routinely use the "vga" option too, and I couldn't get it
to work with grub2 either. To avoid confusion between grub2 and grub1,
I decided to go back to lilo. The next time I do a Squeeze install from
scratch, I'll your suggestion a try.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default console resolution

On 2010-01-22 at 09:00:54 -0500, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Seem like gfxpayload is the substitute, but now I can't find where is the
> doc (it doesn't appear in kernel-parameters.txt).

The "vga" kernel option is a strange option. It's really more of
a bootloader option than a kernel option. The bootloader itself has to have
support for it. The actual change of video mode is done by means of a
video BIOS call. This is an old-fashioned DOS-style interrupt call,
which must be done in real mode. I believe the bootloader itself makes the call,
while it is still running in real mode. The bootloader switches to protected
mode prior to passing control to the kernel. Somehow, the kernel is told
what the video mode is, so that it can allocate the proper amount of memory
for a virtual terminal buffer, but I don't believe that the kernel itself
actually makes the video BIOS call. That's the way it worked under lilo and grub1
anyway. This is for text-mode virtual consoles.

I'm really going out on a limb when I talk about grub2, since I only used
it for a very short time, but I seem to remember that gfxpayload sets the
video mode for grub itself. I don't think it applies to the kernel proper.
The doc for grub2, such as it is, is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2.en.html. I gave up on grub2
rather quickly and went back to lilo when I couldn't get the vga option
to work; so I know very little about it.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Arthur Machlas
 
Default console resolution

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

On 2010-01-22 at 09:00:54 -0500, Javier Barroso wrote:

> Seem like gfxpayload is the substitute, but now I can't find where is the

> doc (it doesn't appear in kernel-parameters.txt).



I'm really going out on a limb when I talk about grub2, since I only used

it for a very short time, but I seem to remember that gfxpayload sets the

video mode for grub itself. *I don't think it applies to the kernel proper.

The doc for grub2, such as it is, is at

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2.en.html. *I gave up on grub2

rather quickly and went back to lilo when I couldn't get the vga option

to work; so I know very little about it.



set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings to the kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward. There are some other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot in the appropriate file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice thing is it makes for very smooth transitions when switching from terminal to x, as the display settings (if correctly configured) are already applied, thus, no ugly flashing of the screen and delay.


Best,
Arthur
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default console resolution

On 2010-01-22 at 12:08:56 -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:
> set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings to the
> kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward. There are some
> other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot in the appropriate
> file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice thing is it makes for very
> smooth transitions when switching from terminal to x, as the display
> settings (if correctly configured) are already applied, thus, no ugly
> flashing of the screen and delay.

So then this is designed to work with framebuffer graphics mode virtual
consoles, right? That wouldn't help me. I prefer the traditional
hardware text mode virtual consoles. That's why I use the vga option
and lilo. I've even configured lilo to do all of its own output in text mode.

Jeffrey Cao wrote in another post that grub2 can support the traditional
vga kernel option by means of editing /etc/default/grub and adding the
line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"

and then running "update-grub" to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg. But I
haven't tried it myself. I'm not going to de-install lilo and install
grub2 to find out. But next time I try a Squeeze install from scratch,
I might give it a try. For now, I'm very happy with my old friend lilo.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org