-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Bits from the kernel team (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/298223-bits-kernel-team.html)

Kurt Roeckx 12-20-2009 03:22 PM

Bits from the kernel team

Hi,

Now that we have a 2.6.32 kernel in unstable, can you updates us
on the various things mentioned in this mail?

For instance, as I understand it, most other distro's recently
had a release with a 2.6.31 kernel? Do you know if there are
plans to have a kernel with backported drivers, one used by
multiple distributions?

Kurt

Kurt Roeckx 12-20-2009 03:22 PM

Bits from the kernel team

Ben Hutchings 12-20-2009 03:50 PM

Bits from the kernel team

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 17:22 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that we have a 2.6.32 kernel in unstable, can you updates us
> on the various things mentioned in this mail?
>
> For instance, as I understand it, most other distro's recently
> had a release with a 2.6.31 kernel?

Fedora 12, Ubuntu 9.10 and openSUSE 11.2 have this kernel version.

> Do you know if there are
> plans to have a kernel with backported drivers, one used by
> multiple distributions?

I've not heard of a general plan for that. However there is a
compat-wireless project (covering Wifi and Bluetooth drivers) that I
think Fedora and Ubuntu are pulling from. That might be something we
should do too. I'm also keen to pull in nouveau if the X maintainers
are happy with that.

> > Kernel Mode Setting transition
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > It was resolved that KMS will be enabled at build time but disabled at
> > run time by default.

Done.

> > The X packages will be able to use modprobe
> > config files to enable KMS at run time as required.

This is not for the kernel team to do.

> > Feature patches
> > ---------------
> >
> > These are patches the Debian kernels have for major features which are
> > not upstream.
> >
> > openvz
> > ++++++
> >
> > Debian will continue to support this system with assistance from the
> > openvz developers.

In progress, I believe.

> > rt patchset
> > +++++++++++
> >
> > This is apparently not ready for production use and will not be
> > present in Debian kernels.
> >
> > vserver
> > +++++++
> >
> > This feature will be present in squeeze but will be marked as
> > deprecated and a migration path to Linux containers investigated.

Don't know.

> > xen dom 0
> > +++++++++
> >
> > This feature will be included in the squeeze kernel release subject to
> > ongoing stabilisation work. The feature will be marked as deprecated
> > and will not appear in future releases.

In progress.

> > IDE to libata decision
> > ----------------------
> >
> > Debian will perform this transition using the udev packages in a
> > similar way to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu developers have offered their
> > assistance with this transition.

Since we also have a wide variety of bootloaders to update, we now
intend to do this separately from udev. I have written an update script
(written in Perl) which I will be sending out for review shortly.

> > preemption
> > ----------
> >
> > This feature will be enabled for the squeeze release.
> >
> > OSS
> > ---
> >
> > This has been a deprecated kernel interface for some time and will be
> > disabled for squeeze

Done.

> > with mechanisms put in place to deal with legacy users.

Er, not sure.

> > bug triage and tagging
> > ----------------------
> >
> > The kernel team has a large number of bugs, many of which contain
> > inadequate information. The team decided that a policy for bugs and
> > patches will be produced and enforced. We will also be improving the
> > bug reporting by improving the reportbug usage.

See <http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2009/11/msg00114.html>. This
still needs to be incorporated into the kernel handbook.

> > Moving the Debian Kernel packaging to Git
> >
> > A robust discussion happened with several views and ideas
> > expressed. The final outcome was that the team as a whole favoured the
> > move to git and that further investigation and implementation would
> > occur.

Still to do; I think this may have to be post-squeeze.

> > Coordination with release team and D-I
> > --------------------------------------
> >
> > Several issues were covered the main item from this session was an
> > investigation as to if udeb generation should be merged with the main
> > kernel source package.

No change as yet.

> > Out of tree modules
> > -------------------
> >
> > After some discussion it was resolved to remove linux-modules-extra
> > and -nonfree as they are an impossible to support properly.
> >
> > A few modules the project really must have will be placed
> > directly into the linux-2.6 source
> >
> > The kernel team will endorse the use of dkms as a way for out-of-tree
> > module maintainers to get their modules auto-built.

Done.

> > Leveraging upstream .deb building
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > This became a discussion about the general kernel packaging and how we
> > might use the upstream provided facilities better. There was some
> > discussion we have way too many ways to build a kernel.
> >
> > We will be rationalising this to two methods, an upstream merged "make
> > deb-pkg" target and the linux-2.6 Debian source.

Done.

> > We will also be rationalising the kernel postinst and co-ordinating
> > our efforts with the Ubuntu developers.

In progress.

> > Debug Packages
> > --------------
> >
> > This refers to debugging information from current packages, not a
> > separate configuration, useful for crash tools. This will be
> > investigated further.

Not done.

> > Automated build and test
> > ------------------------
> >
> > This might be a useful tool in the future and work is ongoing.

Don't know.

> > Experimental
> > ------------
> >
> > Some upload experimental uploads of the 2.6.31 version will be made.

Done, but irrelevant now.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Ben Hutchings 12-20-2009 03:50 PM

Bits from the kernel team

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 17:22 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that we have a 2.6.32 kernel in unstable, can you updates us
> on the various things mentioned in this mail?
>
> For instance, as I understand it, most other distro's recently
> had a release with a 2.6.31 kernel?

Fedora 12, Ubuntu 9.10 and openSUSE 11.2 have this kernel version.

> Do you know if there are
> plans to have a kernel with backported drivers, one used by
> multiple distributions?

I've not heard of a general plan for that. However there is a
compat-wireless project (covering Wifi and Bluetooth drivers) that I
think Fedora and Ubuntu are pulling from. That might be something we
should do too. I'm also keen to pull in nouveau if the X maintainers
are happy with that.

> > Kernel Mode Setting transition
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > It was resolved that KMS will be enabled at build time but disabled at
> > run time by default.

Done.

> > The X packages will be able to use modprobe
> > config files to enable KMS at run time as required.

This is not for the kernel team to do.

> > Feature patches
> > ---------------
> >
> > These are patches the Debian kernels have for major features which are
> > not upstream.
> >
> > openvz
> > ++++++
> >
> > Debian will continue to support this system with assistance from the
> > openvz developers.

In progress, I believe.

> > rt patchset
> > +++++++++++
> >
> > This is apparently not ready for production use and will not be
> > present in Debian kernels.
> >
> > vserver
> > +++++++
> >
> > This feature will be present in squeeze but will be marked as
> > deprecated and a migration path to Linux containers investigated.

Don't know.

> > xen dom 0
> > +++++++++
> >
> > This feature will be included in the squeeze kernel release subject to
> > ongoing stabilisation work. The feature will be marked as deprecated
> > and will not appear in future releases.

In progress.

> > IDE to libata decision
> > ----------------------
> >
> > Debian will perform this transition using the udev packages in a
> > similar way to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu developers have offered their
> > assistance with this transition.

Since we also have a wide variety of bootloaders to update, we now
intend to do this separately from udev. I have written an update script
(written in Perl) which I will be sending out for review shortly.

> > preemption
> > ----------
> >
> > This feature will be enabled for the squeeze release.
> >
> > OSS
> > ---
> >
> > This has been a deprecated kernel interface for some time and will be
> > disabled for squeeze

Done.

> > with mechanisms put in place to deal with legacy users.

Er, not sure.

> > bug triage and tagging
> > ----------------------
> >
> > The kernel team has a large number of bugs, many of which contain
> > inadequate information. The team decided that a policy for bugs and
> > patches will be produced and enforced. We will also be improving the
> > bug reporting by improving the reportbug usage.

See <http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2009/11/msg00114.html>. This
still needs to be incorporated into the kernel handbook.

> > Moving the Debian Kernel packaging to Git
> >
> > A robust discussion happened with several views and ideas
> > expressed. The final outcome was that the team as a whole favoured the
> > move to git and that further investigation and implementation would
> > occur.

Still to do; I think this may have to be post-squeeze.

> > Coordination with release team and D-I
> > --------------------------------------
> >
> > Several issues were covered the main item from this session was an
> > investigation as to if udeb generation should be merged with the main
> > kernel source package.

No change as yet.

> > Out of tree modules
> > -------------------
> >
> > After some discussion it was resolved to remove linux-modules-extra
> > and -nonfree as they are an impossible to support properly.
> >
> > A few modules the project really must have will be placed
> > directly into the linux-2.6 source
> >
> > The kernel team will endorse the use of dkms as a way for out-of-tree
> > module maintainers to get their modules auto-built.

Done.

> > Leveraging upstream .deb building
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > This became a discussion about the general kernel packaging and how we
> > might use the upstream provided facilities better. There was some
> > discussion we have way too many ways to build a kernel.
> >
> > We will be rationalising this to two methods, an upstream merged "make
> > deb-pkg" target and the linux-2.6 Debian source.

Done.

> > We will also be rationalising the kernel postinst and co-ordinating
> > our efforts with the Ubuntu developers.

In progress.

> > Debug Packages
> > --------------
> >
> > This refers to debugging information from current packages, not a
> > separate configuration, useful for crash tools. This will be
> > investigated further.

Not done.

Paul Wise 12-21-2009 12:24 AM

Bits from the kernel team

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

>> > OSS
>> > ---
>> >
>> > This has been a deprecated kernel interface for some time and will be
>> > disabled for squeeze
>
> Done.
>
>> > with mechanisms put in place to deal with legacy users.
>
> Er, not sure.

I guess oss4-dkms will be enough to take care of these users,
hopefully it will reach squeeze in time.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Paul Wise 12-21-2009 12:24 AM

Bits from the kernel team

Ben Hutchings 12-21-2009 12:56 AM

Bits from the kernel team

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 09:24 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> > Done.

> > Er, not sure.
>
> I guess oss4-dkms will be enough to take care of these users,
> hopefully it will reach squeeze in time.

Hopefully not. OSS4 on Linux is part of the problem, not part of the
solution. Linux applications should not use /dev/dsp any more. Those
that do may be handled by some kind of bridge to ALSA, which was what
this item refers to. (The existing snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss don't
seem to be good enough.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Ben Hutchings 12-21-2009 12:56 AM

Bits from the kernel team

Mark Brown 12-22-2009 12:24 PM

Bits from the kernel team

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 01:56:05AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 09:24 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> > I guess oss4-dkms will be enough to take care of these users,
> > hopefully it will reach squeeze in time.

> Hopefully not. OSS4 on Linux is part of the problem, not part of the
> solution. Linux applications should not use /dev/dsp any more. Those
> that do may be handled by some kind of bridge to ALSA, which was what

Something CUSE based, for example, or one of the existing LD_PRELOAD
hacks. Replacing the OSS emulation with something that throws the data
back out to userspace would also work, I guess.

> this item refers to. (The existing snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss don't
> seem to be good enough.)

Specifically since they are in kernel they don't (and can't really) play
at all with any userspace ALSA stuff such as DSP, PulseAudio or the
various network and wireless I/O drivers that are implemented in
userspace. They also cause pain for the standard ALSA drivers since the
mismatch between the OSS and ALSA configuration APIs results in ALSA
drivers having to jump through hoops for the benefit of the OSS
emulation, and the OSS configuration model is just too limited to
express the control available on many modern systems.

Mark Brown 12-22-2009 12:24 PM

Bits from the kernel team