FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Manoj Srivastava
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 16 2009, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected
> and organized my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have
> put them on the web at the following URL:
> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

> Commence firing. Fire at will.

I like that, and would like to be able to incorporate this HOWTO
in the kernel-package package. What license are you distributing the
document under? If it is a free license, I would like it to be in the
kernel-package docs for Squeeze.

manoj
--
If graphics hackers are so smart, why can't they get the bugs out of
fresh paint?
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B 924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Mon, Nov 16 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> I like that, and would like to be able to incorporate this HOWTO
> in the kernel-package package. What license are you distributing the
> document under? If it is a free license, I would like it to be in the
> kernel-package docs for Squeeze.

I'm glad you like it.
As stated in the disclaimer section, the license is public domain.
Use whatever you want. A little blurb of attribution would be nice though.

Regards,
Steve


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 AM
maximilian attems
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24:52PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected and organized
> my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have put them on the web at the
> following URL: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

first of all you shall build your linux-2.6 in ~/src/
no compellent reason to do it in /usr/src

second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
the linux-image.

>
> Commence firing. Fire at will.

hehe, see above

kind regards


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Manoj Srivastava
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Tue, Nov 17 2009, maximilian attems wrote:

> second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
> on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
> the linux-image.

Not if you want to produce headers, doc, or debug packages from
your custom sources. The upstream deb-pkg is nice and all, but does not
offer the same functionality as kernel-package does.

--
Most people prefer certainty to truth.
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B 924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Marc Haber
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24:52PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected and organized
> my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have put them on the web at the
> following URL: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

I would like to suggest addressing the building of out-of-tree modules
as well. This is kind of a moving target, as Debian does not currently
offer a way to build deb packages from out-of-tree modules which have
been (prematurely, IMO) converted to DKMS.

Greetings
Marc

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 72739834
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:14:09AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17 2009, maximilian attems wrote:
>
> > second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
> > on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
> > the linux-image.
>
> Not if you want to produce headers, doc, or debug packages from
> your custom sources. The upstream deb-pkg is nice and all, but does not
> offer the same functionality as kernel-package does.

the doc in question is about producing a linux image.

i agree that deb-pkg is not feature complete, but for aboves
usage it is recommended.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

> first of all you shall build your linux-2.6 in ~/src/
> no compellent reason to do it in /usr/src

> second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
> on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
> the linux-image.

Thank you for your feedback. In response to your feedback I have created a new
section in my document called "Alternatives". It's at the end. If you visit the
site and don't see it, be sure to manually reload the page to make sure you are
not looking at an obsolete cached version of the page. Here's the link again.

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

Regards,
Steve


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, maximilian attems wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:24:52PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> > Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected and organized
> > my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have put them on the web at the
> > following URL: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> first of all you shall build your linux-2.6 in ~/src/
> no compellent reason to do it in /usr/src

here the pointer to the historic mail from linus, quite dated already
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

> here the pointer to the historic mail from linus, quite dated already
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html

Thanks. I have read the e-mail. I am not a C programmer, despite managing
to hack out a kernel patch for dasd_diag.c. But I do know other programming
languages, and I am familiar with the concept of including a structure
declaration from a library, which is what these "headers" appear to be to me.
And I think that I understand, at least in principle, the problem that Linus
is trying to address in this e-mail.

It appears to me that Debian has long ago solved the problem that Linus is
trying to work around in this e-mail. For example, on Debian Lenny,
/usr/include/asm is no longer a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/asm, or
to any other directory for that matter. /usr/include/asm is a stand-alone
directory in its own right. Linus' recommendation that kernel builders
put their source code elsewhere, in particular he recommended ~/src,
was a workaround for the "symlink problem", which no longer exists. That's my
take on it. Am I missing something here?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Custom Kernel Building in Debian

> I would like to suggest addressing the building of out-of-tree modules
> as well. This is kind of a moving target, as Debian does not currently
> offer a way to build deb packages from out-of-tree modules which have
> been (prematurely, IMO) converted to DKMS.

I'm afraid that's beyond my area of recent experience. The last time I built
an out-of-tree module was back in the days when the ALSA drivers were
not part of the kernel source tree, and I was using Woody, I think,
with a 2.4 kernel. But make-pkpg could do that back then, and I would hope
that it still can. I have no experience at all with DKMS. I do mention
building out-of-tree modules in passing in my document, but I give no
examples because I have none to offer in my recent experience.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org