FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
matthieu castet
 
Default Bug#555671: closed by Ben Hutchings ( Bug#555671: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686: Conflicts: yaird (< 0.0.13) but 0.0.12-25 is to be installed)

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 00:14 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:

Package: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
Severity: normal


Hi,

in lenny linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 failed because it want a version of
yaird that doesn't exist.


No, it *conflicts* with the old version of yaird that you have
installed. yaird is not included in 'lenny'; you should use
initramfs-tools instead.

Ben.

yaird was present on etch, why it is not present on lenny.
I don't want to install initramfs-tools because it depends on udev. And my
system which is a video recorder doesn't want/need it.


Matthieu



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#555671: closed by Ben Hutchings ( Bug#555671: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686: Conflicts: yaird (< 0.0.13) but 0.0.12-25 is to be installed)

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 00:12 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 00:14 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:
> >> Package: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
> >> Severity: normal
> >>
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> in lenny linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 failed because it want a version of
> >> yaird that doesn't exist.
> >
> > No, it *conflicts* with the old version of yaird that you have
> > installed. yaird is not included in 'lenny'; you should use
> > initramfs-tools instead.
> >
> > Ben.
> yaird was present on etch, why it is not present on lenny.

I don't know; it was not my decision.

> I don't want to install initramfs-tools because it depends on udev. And my
> system which is a video recorder doesn't want/need it.

Then you should stick with etch or build your own kernel without an
initramfs. Do not ask us to support systems without udev.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Lowery's Law:
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Jonas Smedegaard
 
Default Bug#555671: closed by Ben Hutchings ( Bug#555671: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686: Conflicts: yaird (< 0.0.13) but 0.0.12-25 is to be installed)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:45:05AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 00:12 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:

>
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 00:14 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:
>> Package: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
>> Severity: normal
>>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in lenny linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 failed because it want a version
>> of yaird that doesn't exist.

>
> No, it *conflicts* with the old version of yaird that you have
> installed. yaird is not included in 'lenny'; you should use
> initramfs-tools instead.
>
> Ben.
yaird was present on etch, why it is not present on lenny.


I don't know; it was not my decision.


No, it was the decision of a release manager, based on judgement of Max,
described by same release manager as "long-term kernel team member"
which was judging "with his kernel arch maintainer hat on". [1]


So waving off as "not my problem" by the kernel team seems a little odd
to me. If you speak with your kernel team hat on, that is.




I don't want to install initramfs-tools because it depends on udev.
And my system which is a video recorder doesn't want/need it.


Then you should stick with etch or build your own kernel without an
initramfs. Do not ask us to support systems without udev.


I do agree: despite my disagreement with max on bug#457177 and (many)
other issues of yaird, that does not change that Debian as a project has
decided to only in its current stable release have decided to only ship
with a single ramdisk generator - the one maintained by the Debian
kernel team (or a member therof), and that ramdisk generator depends on
udev.


So I agree that this bugreport as filed is inappropriate and should stay
closed.



Kind regards,

- Jonas

Maintainer of yaird


[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=457177#78

--
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 PM
matthieu castet
 
Default Bug#555671: closed by Ben Hutchings ( Bug#555671: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686: Conflicts: yaird (< 0.0.13) but 0.0.12-25 is to be installed)

Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:45:05AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
I don't want to install initramfs-tools because it depends on udev.
And my system which is a video recorder doesn't want/need it.


Then you should stick with etch or build your own kernel without an
initramfs. Do not ask us to support systems without udev.


I do agree: despite my disagreement with max on bug#457177 and (many)
other issues of yaird, that does not change that Debian as a project has
decided to only in its current stable release have decided to only ship
with a single ramdisk generator - the one maintained by the Debian
kernel team (or a member therof), and that ramdisk generator depends on
udev.


So I agree that this bugreport as filed is inappropriate and should stay
closed.

Ok, but that's weird that linux-image got yaird in depends in this case.
It should only have initramfs-tools.


Matthieu



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#555671: closed by Ben Hutchings ( Bug#555671: linux-image-2.6.26-2-686: Conflicts: yaird (< 0.0.13) but 0.0.12-25 is to be installed)

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 22:35 +0100, matthieu castet wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
> > On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:45:05AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >>> I don't want to install initramfs-tools because it depends on udev.
> >>> And my system which is a video recorder doesn't want/need it.
> >>
> >> Then you should stick with etch or build your own kernel without an
> >> initramfs. Do not ask us to support systems without udev.
> >
> > I do agree: despite my disagreement with max on bug#457177 and (many)
> > other issues of yaird, that does not change that Debian as a project has
> > decided to only in its current stable release have decided to only ship
> > with a single ramdisk generator - the one maintained by the Debian
> > kernel team (or a member therof), and that ramdisk generator depends on
> > udev.
> >
> > So I agree that this bugreport as filed is inappropriate and should stay
> > closed.
> Ok, but that's weird that linux-image got yaird in depends in this case.
[...]

It doesn't. Please read more carefully.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org