FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Julian Andres Klode
 
Default Bug#553472: linux-libc-dev: Include linux/aufs_type.h for aufs2-utils?

Am Samstag, den 31.10.2009, 18:42 +0000 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 17:50 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > Package: linux-libc-dev
> > Version: 2.6.31-1
> > Severity: wishlist
> >
> > Hi, would it be possible to get linux/aufs_type.h included in
> > linux-libc-dev or a similar package? This header is needed to
> > build the userspace tools of aufs, which include programs such
> > as mount.aufs or auchk.
> >
> > Currently it is included in linux-headers-2.6.31-common but
> > this package is versioned and would thus require changes to
> > aufs-tools build-dependencies for every new kernel.
>
> Is this a stable ABI?

The last ABI break was on Aug 23; and it's only used by aufs-tools. The
idea of including it in linux-libc-dev just seems better than all other
options. So I don't know how stable the ABI really is, but I have only
seen 2 ABI breaks since March.

I could also include the header file into the aufs-tools source package
like btrfs-tools does but I just think it's better to include it here,
especially considering Debian derivatives.



--
Julian Andres Klode - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#553472: linux-libc-dev: Include linux/aufs_type.h for aufs2-utils?

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:36 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 31.10.2009, 18:42 +0000 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> > On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 17:50 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > > Package: linux-libc-dev
> > > Version: 2.6.31-1
> > > Severity: wishlist
> > >
> > > Hi, would it be possible to get linux/aufs_type.h included in
> > > linux-libc-dev or a similar package? This header is needed to
> > > build the userspace tools of aufs, which include programs such
> > > as mount.aufs or auchk.
> > >
> > > Currently it is included in linux-headers-2.6.31-common but
> > > this package is versioned and would thus require changes to
> > > aufs-tools build-dependencies for every new kernel.
> >
> > Is this a stable ABI?
>
> The last ABI break was on Aug 23; and it's only used by aufs-tools. The
> idea of including it in linux-libc-dev just seems better than all other
> options. So I don't know how stable the ABI really is, but I have only
> seen 2 ABI breaks since March.

'Only'?! That sounds no more stable than the kernel module ABI.

I don't think that an unstable and esoteric interface like this belongs
in linux-libc-dev.

> I could also include the header file into the aufs-tools source package
> like btrfs-tools does but I just think it's better to include it here,
> especially considering Debian derivatives.

Does Ubuntu include it in linux-libc-dev?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
- Robert Coveyou
 
Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Steve Langasek
 
Default Bug#553472: linux-libc-dev: Include linux/aufs_type.h for aufs2-utils?

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:34:42AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > The last ABI break was on Aug 23; and it's only used by aufs-tools. The
> > idea of including it in linux-libc-dev just seems better than all other
> > options. So I don't know how stable the ABI really is, but I have only
> > seen 2 ABI breaks since March.

> 'Only'?! That sounds no more stable than the kernel module ABI.

> I don't think that an unstable and esoteric interface like this belongs
> in linux-libc-dev.

Agreed.

> > I could also include the header file into the aufs-tools source package
> > like btrfs-tools does but I just think it's better to include it here,
> > especially considering Debian derivatives.

> Does Ubuntu include it in linux-libc-dev?

No.

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org