FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Max Lindner
 
Default Bug#504391: Please enable CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME

in many cases it is not possible at all to remove the MMC card, because
it is a storage expansion (e.g. for the AAO 100L and some other
netbooks) and used for /home.

I do not know a way to unmount the /home partition while logged in, so
there is the choice between not using suspend or not using the storage
expansion slot. Not a very good choice with a 6GB SSD installed in the
netbook ;-)

Cheers,
Max



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Wouter van Heyst
 
Default Bug#504391: Please enable CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME

I second the request for turning CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME on,
for me with /home on a SD card fixed firmly in it's slot, having it
turned on is the only safe option.

Off: filesystem corruption after suspend/resume
On: everything works fine

Wouter van Heyst



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#504391: Please enable CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:51:27PM +0100, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> I second the request for turning CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME on,
> for me with /home on a SD card fixed firmly in it's slot, having it
> turned on is the only safe option.
>
> Off: filesystem corruption after suspend/resume
> On: everything works fine

And for the majority of SD/MMC card users, the choice is:

off: everything works fine
on: filesystem corruption after card change while system is off

I don't think we should change the default to suit the minority of users
with hardware that abuses SD/MMC for fixed storage devices. However this
probably should be a module option rather than a compile-time option.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Wouter van Heyst
 
Default Bug#504391: Please enable CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 02:51:52PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:51:27PM +0100, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> > I second the request for turning CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME on,
> > for me with /home on a SD card fixed firmly in it's slot, having it
> > turned on is the only safe option.
> >
> > Off: filesystem corruption after suspend/resume
> > On: everything works fine
>
> And for the majority of SD/MMC card users, the choice is:
>
> off: everything works fine
> on: filesystem corruption after card change while system is off
>
> I don't think we should change the default to suit the minority of users
> with hardware that abuses SD/MMC for fixed storage devices.

Ah. I had thought that switching a card while the system is off would be
far more rare. I see my view is limited to netbooks, quite disjunct from, say,
photographers.

> However this probably should be a module option rather than a compile-time
> option.

Yes, rebuilding kernels myself every time there is a security update has
become tiring.

The impact of CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME seems to be contstrained to let

#define mmc_suspend NULL
#define mmc_resume NULL

#define mmc_sd_suspend NULL
#define mmc_sd_resume NULL

if it's not defined, and with implementations otherwise, filling the
mmc_ops and mmc_sd_ops structs. After that my kernel fu is too weak.


What needs to be done to get this to be a module option?

Wouter van Heyst



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org