Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 AM
David Woodhouse

Default Building vanilla kernel .debs

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 20:40 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> hello David,
>
> I have a question on howto ship firmware build out of
> make deb-pkg in linux-2.6.
>
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 21:27 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Is it a feature that the linux-firmware package doesn't have the
> > > upstream kernel version in its name?
> >
> > Possibly not.
> >
> > > $ make deb-pkg
> > > (...)
> > > dpkg-deb: building package linux-firmware-image' in ../linux-firmware-image_2.6.31.4.20091026.4_all.deb'.
> > > dpkg-deb: building package linux-image-2.6.31.4-zgws1' in ../linux-image-2.6.31.4-zgws1_2.6.31.4.20091026.4_i386.deb'.
> > >
> > > I could imagine that, a driver in kernel 2.6.x would need different
> > > firmware than the same driver in kernel 2.6.y, where it would be very
> > > helpful to have multiple firmware packages installed.
> >
> > The linux-firmware repository
> > <git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git>
> > contains multiple versions of some firmware for just this reason.
> > However, Linux source trees do not.
> >
> > > Does the firmware infrastructure cater for this need?
>
> tried to pass INSTALL_FW_PATH to modules_install call in
> scripts/packages/builddep, but this is happily ignored there.
>
> is it an anachronism that the INSTALL_FW_PATH defaults to
> $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/lib/firmware and not
> $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/lib/firmware/$(KERNELRELEASE)/

That's intentional. There is no need for it -- the firmware should live
in /lib/firmware.

If there are incompatible versions of firmware, then they'll have a
different filename and can co-exist.

The ability to use firmware installed directly from the kernel source
tree is intended as a stop-gap; not as a long-term solution. You should
be installing the linux-firmware package instead.

--
dwmw2

Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Marc Haber

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 07:30:47AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> That's intentional. There is no need for it -- the firmware should live
> in /lib/firmware.
>
> If there are incompatible versions of firmware, then they'll have a
> different filename and can co-exist.

This is, however, a challenge for the packaging system. With the
current scheme, I cannot have the firmware package for kernel 2.6.x
installed while the firmware package for kernel 2.6.y is installed.

If we had this scheme in the past, having a fallback kernel would have
been hard or impossible during firmware transitions, which for example
the ipw2x00 drivers have gone through multiple times.

Please rethink this intention.

Greetings
Marc

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 10:48 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 07:30:47AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > That's intentional. There is no need for it -- the firmware should live
> > in /lib/firmware.
> >
> > If there are incompatible versions of firmware, then they'll have a
> > different filename and can co-exist.
>
> This is, however, a challenge for the packaging system. With the
> current scheme, I cannot have the firmware package for kernel 2.6.x
> installed while the firmware package for kernel 2.6.y is installed.

Right. The newer firmware package ought to be perfectly sufficient for
use with the older kernel.

> If we had this scheme in the past, having a fallback kernel would have
> been hard or impossible during firmware transitions, which for example
> the ipw2x00 drivers have gone through multiple times.
>
> Please rethink this intention.

You misunderstand. Shipping firmware packages built from the kernel is
just a transitional thing. You should be using the linux-firmware
package instead, which includes old _and_ new firmware.

--
dwmw2

Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Marc Haber

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:17:52AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 10:48 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 07:30:47AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > > That's intentional. There is no need for it -- the firmware should live
> > > in /lib/firmware.
> > >
> > > If there are incompatible versions of firmware, then they'll have a
> > > different filename and can co-exist.
> >
> > This is, however, a challenge for the packaging system. With the
> > current scheme, I cannot have the firmware package for kernel 2.6.x
> > installed while the firmware package for kernel 2.6.y is installed.
>
> Right. The newer firmware package ought to be perfectly sufficient for
> use with the older kernel.

It frequently is not. See ipw2x00.

Greetings
Marc

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
maximilian attems

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 07:30:47AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > That's intentional. There is no need for it -- the firmware should live
> > in /lib/firmware.
> >
> > If there are incompatible versions of firmware, then they'll have a
> > different filename and can co-exist.
>
> This is, however, a challenge for the packaging system. With the
> current scheme, I cannot have the firmware package for kernel 2.6.x
> installed while the firmware package for kernel 2.6.y is installed.
>
> If we had this scheme in the past, having a fallback kernel would have
> been hard or impossible during firmware transitions, which for example
> the ipw2x00 drivers have gone through multiple times.

the linux-firmware you'd build multiple debs out is
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git

i agree with david that the temporal solution of building one firmware
package out of linux-2.6 is fine.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:31 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:17:52AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > > This is, however, a challenge for the packaging system. With the
> > > current scheme, I cannot have the firmware package for kernel 2.6.x
> > > installed while the firmware package for kernel 2.6.y is installed.
> >
> > Right. The newer firmware package ought to be perfectly sufficient for
> > use with the older kernel.
>
> It frequently is not. See ipw2x00.

ipw2x00 isn't shipped in the kernel source tree, so is completely
irrelevant to this discussion. Please, come back when you have an idea
what you're talking about.

--
dwmw2

Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
maximilian attems

hello

another user popped up with exacltly the same questions,
need to start a wiki page somewhere on wiki.d.o,
so got kicked in playing around.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:21:00PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:53:58PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > append a string to the version number and a debian revision.
> >
> > if you set KDEB_PKGVERSION you can set both, the debian revision
> > is controled by .version.
>
> I actually mean the upstream version, not the actual version of the
> resulting Debian package. When one uses make-kpkg --append=-foo
> --revision=2.6.31.4.20091013.0, one gets, for example, a
> linux-image-2.6.31.4-foo_2.6.31.4.20091013.0_i386.deb of a kernel
> which actually returns 2.6.31.4-foo as answer to uname -r. This is
> important if one wants to have different kernel flavours including
> their own module directory.
>
> The equivalent to --revision is KDEB_PKGVERSION, but I haven't yet
> found a way to emulate --append, since this probably needs
> modification to the upstream version number ending up in
> include/linux/utsrelease.h. Is there a variable for this as well, or
> is the official way to do so parsing EXTRAVERSION from the top-level
> Makefile and make all EXTRAVERSION=$EXTRAVERSION-foo?

indeed KDEB_PKGVERSION sets the debian revision.

well EXTRAVERSION is not recommend to play around.

a better way to append a string to upstream version
(in my game "-foo" was "-grml") is to set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION:
~/src/linux-2.6$ egrep LOCALVERSION .config
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-grml"
# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set

current tree called with
KDEB_PKGVERSION="grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104" fakeroot make deb-pkg j=2
results in:
dpkg-deb: building package `linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml' in `../linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml_grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104_amd64.deb'.

hope that helps, now soon this should end in a more readable doc..

kind regards
maks

Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
maximilian attems

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

> After applying these two patches to scripts/package/builddeb from
> current upstream kernel git (they don't apply to 2.6.31.4), make
> deb-pkg KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD="fakeroot -u" produces packages (which I
> haven't tested yet). Thanks.

this should be the default KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD cmd,
don't think you need to set it explicitly.

thanks for testing.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Michael Prokop

* maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

>> The equivalent to --revision is KDEB_PKGVERSION, but I haven't yet
>> found a way to emulate --append, since this probably needs
>> modification to the upstream version number ending up in
>> include/linux/utsrelease.h. Is there a variable for this as well, or
>> is the official way to do so parsing EXTRAVERSION from the top-level
>> Makefile and make all EXTRAVERSION=$EXTRAVERSION-foo?

> indeed KDEB_PKGVERSION sets the debian revision.

> well EXTRAVERSION is not recommend to play around.

Though if you don't want to have the '-rc6' inside the *package*
name you don't have any other option than unsetting/overriding
EXTRAVERSION, nor?

> a better way to append a string to upstream version
> (in my game "-foo" was "-grml") is to set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION:
> ~/src/linux-2.6$ egrep LOCALVERSION .config
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-grml"
> # CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set

> current tree called with
> KDEB_PKGVERSION="grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104" fakeroot make deb-pkg j=2
> results in:
> dpkg-deb: building package `linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml' in `../linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml_grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104_amd64.deb'.

LOCALVERSION is fine if you want to *extend* the default package
name, right.

> hope that helps, now soon this should end in a more readable doc..

I really like the option to use make deb-pkg for generating debian
packages, should be promoted - yes.

What I'd like to see:

* possibility to build linux-headers and linux-source package

* possibility to provide/maintain a non-default-template
debian/changelog (a cmdline option to specify a file that should
be used [as base] might be a good start?)

thanks && regards,
-mika-

Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Jan Muszynski

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:21:00 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:53:58PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

>snippage<

>> Is there any documentation about which features are
>> available?
>
>not yet, as currently it is dead simple, but in the work indeed.
>
>On build it respects DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME for changelog and control
>file generation. If firmware is also build you get a seperated firmware
>package.
>
>On install eventual hook scripts in /etc/kernel will be executed.
>
>> For this to be a make-kpkg replacement, I'd need the
>> possibility to run the actual build process as non-root user while
>> using fakeroot to build the .deb,
>
>done in linux-next kbuild tree heading for 2.6.33.
>
>> append a string to the version number and a debian revision.
>
>if you set KDEB_PKGVERSION you can set both, the debian revision
>is controled by .version.

Just found this thread and tried it. What I see I like, makes things
nice and simple.
BUT - is there any way to generate a header-package? Doc package would be nice
as well, although not as critical. I can easily live without that. I
really need a header
package though. I often remove the source tree, or modify it, after
compiling a kernel.

TIA