FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Thomas Goirand
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:32:52PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:05:45PM +0100, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>>> Bastian, is any of your Xen dom0 work available somewhere?
>> Yes. http://hermes.jura.uni-tuebingen.de/~blank/debian/xen-test.
>
> The xen utils are currently not able to cope with this modular
> distribution config, so the following should give you running xend and
> the possibility to run domains.
>
> | modprobe evtchn
> | modprobe xenfs
> | modprobe blkbk
> | modprobe netbk
> | mount -t xenfs none /proc/xen
> | /etc/init.d/xend start
>
> Bastian

Hi Bastian,

Would this kernel work as a dom0 in Lenny? I would need it in my laptop
(not in production...), as otherwise I can't have wifi (I have an Intel
5300 board...). Can you also provide the source package so I can
recompile it with the Lenny gcc/libs?

Thanks for this great work.

Thomas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Bastian Blank
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:22:49PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Would this kernel work as a dom0 in Lenny?

No. It needs a newer hypervisor.

> Can you also provide the source package so I can
> recompile it with the Lenny gcc/libs?

The patch is there. You can apply it on the latest upstream and build a
kernel with.

Bastian

--
A princess should not be afraid -- not with a brave knight to protect her.
-- McCoy, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.3


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Thomas Schwinge
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Hello!

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:43:00AM +0100, I wrote:
> 10.jpg: fstype vg0-boole-root (ext3); mount /dev/mapper/vg0-boole--root
> /root (failed -- no such file or directory?!).

I just noticed in linux-image-2.6.31-1-xen-amd64_2.6.31-1_amd64.deb's
/boot/config-2.6.31-1-xen-amd64 file: ``CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=m'. Tomorrow,
I'll set that to ``y' and redo the package. Hopefully that helps.


Regards,
Thomas
 
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Thomas Goirand
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:22:49PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Would this kernel work as a dom0 in Lenny?
>
> No. It needs a newer hypervisor.
>
>> Can you also provide the source package so I can
>> recompile it with the Lenny gcc/libs?
>
> The patch is there. You can apply it on the latest upstream and build a
> kernel with.
>
> Bastian

Hi Bastian,

I tried to recompile in Lenny, and I installed the following packages:

libxen-dev_3.4.0-2_amd64.deb
libxenstore3.0_3.4.0-2_amd64.deb
linux-image-2.6.31.5_2.6.31.5-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
xen-docs-3.4_3.4.0-2_all.deb
xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64_3.4.0-2_amd64.deb
xenstore-utils_3.4.0-2_amd64.deb
xen-utils-3.4_3.4.0-2_amd64.deb
xen-utils-common_3.3.1-2_all.deb

but when I try to start xend, it says:

xen.lowlevel.xc.Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not obtain handle on
privileged command interface (2 = No such file or directory)')

as if my kernel was NOT Xen dom0 capable. But I've checked my .config,
and I did switch the correct flag(s). Also, there's a /proc/xen (but
empty). What did I miss here?

Thanks for your time, and help.

FYI: I'll make a speech at the Xen Summit Asia 2009, on the 12th (in 1
week of time), about our web hosting tools for Xen. If you have any
question that I should forward to the people of Citrix (Ian Pratt,
people from Fujitsu, Oracle, Intel, etc.), or if you want to get some
contacts to talk with, let me know, and I'd be very happy to help on
that. I believe cooperation can help here.

Thomas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Thomas Goirand
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 10:04 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> as if my kernel was NOT Xen dom0 capable. But I've checked my .config,
>> and I did switch the correct flag(s). Also, there's a /proc/xen (but
>> empty). What did I miss here?
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2009/10/msg01131.html
>
> You need to mount xenfs on /proc/xen.
>
> Ian.

YES ! That was the missing part, and I now got all working.

I'm quite surprised of that though, is that something new in Xen?

Thomas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Ian Campbell
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 10:04 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> as if my kernel was NOT Xen dom0 capable. But I've checked my .config,
> and I did switch the correct flag(s). Also, there's a /proc/xen (but
> empty). What did I miss here?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2009/10/msg01131.html

You need to mount xenfs on /proc/xen.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

My parents went to Niagara Falls and all I got was this crummy life.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Ian Campbell
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:43 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 10:04 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> as if my kernel was NOT Xen dom0 capable. But I've checked my .config,
> >> and I did switch the correct flag(s). Also, there's a /proc/xen (but
> >> empty). What did I miss here?
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2009/10/msg01131.html
> >
> > You need to mount xenfs on /proc/xen.
> >
> > Ian.
>
> YES ! That was the missing part, and I now got all working.
>
> I'm quite surprised of that though, is that something new in Xen?

It is a feature of the pvops kernel. It has been fairly widely discussed
on the various Xen mailing lists and Bastian mentioned it in this very
thread when he posted the link to the kernels.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

It was a book to kill time for those who liked it better dead.
 
Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Thomas Goirand
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Ian Campbell wrote:
> It is a feature of the pvops kernel. It has been fairly widely discussed
> on the various Xen mailing lists and Bastian mentioned it in this very
> thread when he posted the link to the kernels.
>
> Ian.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry if I missed it. I'll have a look
at the archive.

Thomas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Thomas Goirand
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

Bastian Blank wrote:
>> Yes. http://hermes.jura.uni-tuebingen.de/~blank/debian/xen-test.

I used to run the 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 dom0, and it was quite fast. Since
I am using that new version, I really have the bad feeling that my
computer is A LOT slower than before. It used to be nearly as fast as
the non-xen kernel. Any idea what's happening here?

Thomas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Ian Campbell
 
Default oldschool xen kernel on sid

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 19:41 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Bastian Blank wrote:
> >> Yes. http://hermes.jura.uni-tuebingen.de/~blank/debian/xen-test.
>
> I used to run the 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 dom0, and it was quite fast. Since
> I am using that new version, I really have the bad feeling that my
> computer is A LOT slower than before. It used to be nearly as fast as
> the non-xen kernel. Any idea what's happening here?

Did you compare 2.6.31-native to 2.6.31-xen or just 2.6.26-{native,xen}
to 2.6.31-xen. IOW have you really narrowed it down to the Xen bits
rather than a more generic slow down?

If you can provide data or measurements to support your feeling then I'm
sure upstream would be interested to hear about it.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

Q: What's the big deal about rm, I have been deleting stuff for years? And
never lost anything.. oops!
A: ...
-- From the Frequently Unasked Questions


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org