Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Jeremy Katz

Default Install udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d instead of in runtime dir

On Monday, March 16 2009, David Lehman said:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 16:22 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Install the udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d instead of in runtime dir, so
> > that they are available for use directly on the livecd.
>
> Ack. We need this one to get livecd up and running.

My only (slight) concern here is that we're going to end up having one
set of udev rules being run for people that use the livecd to install
and another set for people that don't as anaconda won't be installed for
the non-livecd installs but it is for live installs. This could then
eventually lead to some weirdness.

As we get the rules in the appropriate upstream places, I guess this
ends up mattering less. Does it maybe make sense to consider seeing if
we can get Harald to take them into udev until then so that they're at
least always consistently being run/used?

Jeremy

Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Monday, March 16 2009, David Lehman said:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 16:55 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > >
> > > Ack. We need this one to get livecd up and running.
> >
> > My only (slight) concern here is that we're going to end up having one
> > set of udev rules being run for people that use the livecd to install
> > and another set for people that don't as anaconda won't be installed for
> > the non-livecd installs but it is for live installs. This could then
> > eventually lead to some weirdness.
>
> It might ease your mind to know that anaconda's rules don't do anything
> except put information into the udev db. We do all assembly and so on
> ourselves.

Yeah, but it's still things being run and someone else could end up
writing something to depend on that info being there. Also, it'll have
an impact on boot speed that only gets analyzed by people who install
from the livecd

Jeremy