Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
timo

Default Critical Temperature

Hi people,

I have got the following problem: At random X is being closed by force
and the terminal says «critical temperature reached» and then some high
number around 150°C. At the next moment the computer turns off. That
problem occurs with linux 2.6.27 till 2.6.28 and does not occur with
linux 2.6.26. I have found only a few posts on google. How can I find
out whether this is a software or a hardware issue and what might the
cause be?

regards,
Timo

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
maximilian attems

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009, timo wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I have got the following problem: At random X is being closed by force
> and the terminal says «critical temperature reached» and then some high
> number around 150°C. At the next moment the computer turns off. That
> problem occurs with linux 2.6.27 till 2.6.28 and does not occur with
> linux 2.6.26. I have found only a few posts on google. How can I find
> out whether this is a software or a hardware issue and what might the
> cause be?

no idea on your hardware, please report upstream on bugzilla.kernel.org
with proper dmesg info when that happens and lspci -vvv output

kind regards

--
maks

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

timo <2@famous-timo.de> writes:

> Hi people,
>
> I have got the following problem: At random X is being closed by force
> and the terminal says «critical temperature reached» and then some high
> number around 150°C. At the next moment the computer turns off. That
> problem occurs with linux 2.6.27 till 2.6.28 and does not occur with
> linux 2.6.26. I have found only a few posts on google. How can I find
> out whether this is a software or a hardware issue and what might the
> cause be?
>

> regards,
> Timo

Have you checked if this is a false reading or a cooling failure?
After the shutdown go into the bios and check the
temperature.

MfG
Goswin

Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Michael Prokop

* timo <2@famous-timo.de> wrote:

> I have got the following problem: At random X is being closed by force
> and the terminal says «critical temperature reached» and then some high
> number around 150°C. At the next moment the computer turns off. That
> problem occurs with linux 2.6.27 till 2.6.28 and does not occur with
> linux 2.6.26. I have found only a few posts on google. How can I find
> out whether this is a software or a hardware issue and what might the
> cause be?

What kind of hardware? IBM/Lenovo? Does it occur under high load or
really "at random X"? Is it a notebook? Are you using it inside a
docking station?

Take a closer look at /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature and
in case it's IBM/Lenovo hardware check out the module thinkpad_acpi
and files like /proc/acpi/ibm/fan. If your system shuts down check
out the temperature information available within BIOS.

-mika-
--
,'"`. http://michael-prokop.at/
( grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins