Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

Default Removing pseudo package "kernel"

Is there any point in keeping the pseudo package "kernel",
which still has another 63 bugs? It may have been useful
in times, where 12 different source packages existed for
the kernels, but seems like a useless duplication of
linux-2.6 nowadays.

If noone disagrees, I'll poke submitters of the existing
bugs, reassign them to linux-2.6 and ask the Debian BTS
maintainers to remove the pseudo bug.

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 12-24-2008, 04:31 PM
dann frazier

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 02:53:29PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Is there any point in keeping the pseudo package "kernel",
> which still has another 63 bugs? It may have been useful
> in times, where 12 different source packages existed for
> the kernels, but seems like a useless duplication of
> linux-2.6 nowadays.
>
> If noone disagrees, I'll poke submitters of the existing
> bugs, reassign them to linux-2.6 and ask the Debian BTS
> maintainers to remove the pseudo bug.

seems reasonable to me

--
dann frazier

Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:31:10AM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 02:53:29PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > Is there any point in keeping the pseudo package "kernel",
> > which still has another 63 bugs? It may have been useful
> > in times, where 12 different source packages existed for
> > the kernels, but seems like a useless duplication of
> > linux-2.6 nowadays.
> >
> > If noone disagrees, I'll poke submitters of the existing
> > bugs, reassign them to linux-2.6 and ask the Debian BTS
> > maintainers to remove the pseudo bug.
>
> seems reasonable to me

BTS administrators, all bugs have been reassigned to linux-2.6
Can you please disable the "kernel" pseudo package?

Cheers,
Moritz

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Don Armstrong

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:31:10AM -0700, dann frazier wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 02:53:29PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > > Is there any point in keeping the pseudo package "kernel",
> > > which still has another 63 bugs? It may have been useful
> > > in times, where 12 different source packages existed for
> > > the kernels, but seems like a useless duplication of
> > > linux-2.6 nowadays.
> > >
> > > If noone disagrees, I'll poke submitters of the existing
> > > bugs, reassign them to linux-2.6 and ask the Debian BTS
> > > maintainers to remove the pseudo bug.
> >
> > seems reasonable to me
>
> BTS administrators, all bugs have been reassigned to linux-2.6
> Can you please disable the "kernel" pseudo package?

If there are no objections, I'll remove this around the 1st of the
year. [I should note that the archived bugs that are assigned to the
kernel pseudopackage will still exist, but that shouldn't be a huge
problem.]

(Also, the bugs currently assigned to the linux-2.6 binary package
will have to be reassigned to the linux-2.6 source package, but there
are a bunch of bugs that have that problem, and I'll be making an
anouncement about it later.)

Don Armstrong

--
A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Don Armstrong

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > BTS administrators, all bugs have been reassigned to linux-2.6 Can
> > you please disable the "kernel" pseudo package?
>
> If there are no objections, I'll remove this around the 1st of the
> year.

I've gone ahead and removed the psuedopackage; there will be a bit of
a delay before everything gets into sync, but that should happen
shortly.

I'd also appreciate it if one of you would occasionally check the
kernel package to make sure that bugs aren't languishing there from
releases of reportbugs which have kernel still listed as a valid
psuedopackage.

Don Armstrong

--
Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.
-- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p250

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.kernel, you wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
>> > BTS administrators, all bugs have been reassigned to linux-2.6 Can
>> > you please disable the "kernel" pseudo package?
>>
>> If there are no objections, I'll remove this around the 1st of the
>> year.
>
> I've gone ahead and removed the psuedopackage; there will be a bit of
> a delay before everything gets into sync, but that should happen
> shortly.
>
> I'd also appreciate it if one of you would occasionally check the
> kernel package to make sure that bugs aren't languishing there from
> releases of reportbugs which have kernel still listed as a valid
> psuedopackage.

The reportbug maintainers told me that current reportbug redirects
bugs filed against "kernel" against the pseudo package "linux-image".

This pseudo package doesn't even have debian-kernel@lists.debian.org
listed as the maintainer:

---
Debian Bug report logs - [1]#509992
linux-image: Kernel (amd64) frequent oopses and freezes

[2]version graph

Package: [3]linux-image; Maintainer for [4]linux-image is [5](unknown);

Reported by: [6]Ioannis Ramfos <isr@edu.demokritos.gr>

Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:24:02 UTC
---

Fortunately there's only one bug filed against "linux-image", which I'll
reassign now.

So, please remove the "linux-image" pseudo package as well.

I'll check "kernel" and "linux-image" for some time manually. There's also
people triaging bugs filed against unknown packages to close bugs against
removed packages, so they should notice them as well.

Thanks,
Moritz

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Don Armstrong

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> The reportbug maintainers told me that current reportbug redirects
> bugs filed against "kernel" against the pseudo package
> "linux-image".

There is no linux-image pseudopackage; it's a non-existant package.
[Reassigning bugs to it is wrong.]

What'd probably be reasonable is to assign those bugs to something
like Source: linux-$(uname -r |cut -f1,2 -d.); instead.

Don Armstrong

--
A Democracy lead by politicians and political parties, fails.

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Moritz Muehlenhoff

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.kernel, you wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
>> The reportbug maintainers told me that current reportbug redirects
>> bugs filed against "kernel" against the pseudo package
>> "linux-image".
>
> There is no linux-image pseudopackage; it's a non-existant package.
> [Reassigning bugs to it is wrong.]

Ok, I've added this to the reportbug bug.

> What'd probably be reasonable is to assign those bugs to something
> like Source: linux-$(uname -r |cut -f1,2 -d.); instead.

Ack.

Cheers,
Moritz