Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/)
-   -   Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/205641-bug-507805-initramfs-tools-after-installation-lenny-rc1-ide-disc-not-available-because-missing-modules.html)

Holger Wansing 12-04-2008 02:54 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
Package: initramfs-tools
Severity: important


I tested a Lenny RC1 netinst CD on an old Toshiba laptop.

Installation process itself went fine.

But rebooting into the new system after installation fails.
Error message is:

Waiting for root filesystem ...
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/hda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Seems there are some modules missing. There are no ide related
modules loaded. I started the installer again and fired up
lsmod command at that point, when the disc is detected for
partitioning. This is the lsmod output at that time:

Module Size Used by
nls_cp437 5504 1
dm_mod 45384 0
vfat 8832 1
fat 39964 1 vfat
ext2 52616 0
mbcache 6656 1 ext2
sd_mod 21904 2
nls_utf8 1664 2
isofs 27684 1
nls_base 6528 5 nls_cp437,vfat,fat,nls_utf8,isofs
zlib_inflate 13952 1 isofs
ide_cd_mod 27524 1
cdrom 30112 1 ide_cd_mod
ide_disk 10368 0
ide_generic 2432 0 [permanent]
ide_core 94760 3 ide_cd_mod,ide_disk,ide_generic
usb_storage 75200 1
scsi_mod 129420 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
pcmcia 29484 0
firmware_class 6656 1 pcmcia
parport_pc 22308 0
fan 4100 0
parport 30152 1 parport_pc
floppy 47620 0
thermal 15004 0
ohci_hcd 18436 0
processor 27824 1 thermal
thermal_sys 10656 3 fan,thermal,processor
yenta_socket 20492 2
rsrc_nonstatic 9344 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 31760 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
usbcore 117104 3 usb_storage,ohci_hcd


So, at least ide_core, ide_disk, ide_generic are needed IMHO.

When starting the new system, I'm dropped to a busybox shell
because of this problem.
Executing "cat /proc/modules" from there gives this output:

floppy 47620 0 - Live 0xc3044000
ohci_hcd 18436 0 - Live 0xc301c000
usbcore 117616 2 ohci_hcd Live 0xc3058000
thermal 15132 0 - Live 0xc3023000
processor 28080 1 thermal Live 0xc3028000
fan 4100 - Live 0xc3015000
thermal_sys 10784 3 thermal,processor,fan Live 0xc3018000


As said before, there are all ide modules missing.

Additional info: I reported this on debian-boot and was asked,
if the kernel is given the argument 'all_generic_ide=1'.
Answer: yes, the kernel commandline (output
of "cat /proc/cmdline" from busybox shell) contains this:
root=/dev/hda1 ro all_generic_ide=1 quiet


/dev/hda1 is of course the right device (checked with debian
installer's rescue mode.)

Feel free to ask for more info...



Kind regards
Holger





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

maximilian attems 12-14-2008 10:14 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
try to boot your newly install with that boot arg too:
all_generic_ide

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Holger Wansing 12-17-2008 05:57 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
Hi,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:14:07 +0100 maximilian attems wrote:
> try to boot your newly install with that boot arg too:
> all_generic_ide

Great catch, Maximilian:

booting with "all_generic_ide" works, while booting with
"all_generic_ide=1" (which is added to the configuration by
the installer) fails!

So, this should be changed in the installer somehow.

I will post the solution on debian-boot as well, as I asked there
for help, too. So that the guys have the answer.



Thanks in advance

Holger



--

================================================== ============
Created with Sylpheed 2.3.0
under DEBIAN GNU/LINUX 4.0 Etch
http://counter.li.org/, Registered LinuxUser #311290
================================================== ===========



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

maximilian attems 12-17-2008 11:11 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Holger Wansing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:14:07 +0100 maximilian attems wrote:
> > try to boot your newly install with that boot arg too:
> > all_generic_ide
>
> Great catch, Maximilian:
>
> booting with "all_generic_ide" works, while booting with
> "all_generic_ide=1" (which is added to the configuration by
> the installer) fails!

urrgs, sorry for that goof, fixed in latest initramfs-tools git repo

will see if it's better fixed on initramfs-tools side.


thanks for the testing.

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

ahmem7 03-18-2011 08:27 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
I got that same problem and had corrected very easily by following the steps on the give link... hope it will work for you too...

http://ccnatoccie.com/2010/01/ubuntu-boot-error-missing-modules-cat.html


Holger Wansing-2 wrote:

Package: initramfs-tools
Severity: important


I tested a Lenny RC1 netinst CD on an old Toshiba laptop.

Installation process itself went fine.

But rebooting into the new system after installation fails.
Error message is:

Waiting for root filesystem ...
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/hda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Seems there are some modules missing. There are no ide related
modules loaded. I started the installer again and fired up
lsmod command at that point, when the disc is detected for
partitioning. This is the lsmod output at that time:

Module Size Used by
nls_cp437 5504 1
dm_mod 45384 0
vfat 8832 1
fat 39964 1 vfat
ext2 52616 0
mbcache 6656 1 ext2
sd_mod 21904 2
nls_utf8 1664 2
isofs 27684 1
nls_base 6528 5 nls_cp437,vfat,fat,nls_utf8,isofs
zlib_inflate 13952 1 isofs
ide_cd_mod 27524 1
cdrom 30112 1 ide_cd_mod
ide_disk 10368 0
ide_generic 2432 0 [permanent]
ide_core 94760 3 ide_cd_mod,ide_disk,ide_generic
usb_storage 75200 1
scsi_mod 129420 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
pcmcia 29484 0
firmware_class 6656 1 pcmcia
parport_pc 22308 0
fan 4100 0
parport 30152 1 parport_pc
floppy 47620 0
thermal 15004 0
ohci_hcd 18436 0
processor 27824 1 thermal
thermal_sys 10656 3 fan,thermal,processor
yenta_socket 20492 2
rsrc_nonstatic 9344 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 31760 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
usbcore 117104 3 usb_storage,ohci_hcd


So, at least ide_core, ide_disk, ide_generic are needed IMHO.

When starting the new system, I'm dropped to a busybox shell
because of this problem.
Executing "cat /proc/modules" from there gives this output:

floppy 47620 0 - Live 0xc3044000
ohci_hcd 18436 0 - Live 0xc301c000
usbcore 117616 2 ohci_hcd Live 0xc3058000
thermal 15132 0 - Live 0xc3023000
processor 28080 1 thermal Live 0xc3028000
fan 4100 - Live 0xc3015000
thermal_sys 10784 3 thermal,processor,fan Live 0xc3018000


As said before, there are all ide modules missing.

Additional info: I reported this on debian-boot and was asked,
if the kernel is given the argument 'all_generic_ide=1'.
Answer: yes, the kernel commandline (output
of "cat /proc/cmdline" from busybox shell) contains this:
root=/dev/hda1 ro all_generic_ide=1 quiet


/dev/hda1 is of course the right device (checked with debian
installer's rescue mode.)

Feel free to ask for more info...



Kind regards
Holger





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org








View this message in context: Re: Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules

Sent from the debian-kernel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

ahmem7 05-23-2011 09:27 PM

Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules
 
I got that same problem and had corrected very easily by following the steps on the give link... hope it will work for you too...

World of Network and PC


Holger Wansing-2 wrote:

Package: initramfs-tools
Severity: important


I tested a Lenny RC1 netinst CD on an old Toshiba laptop.

Installation process itself went fine.

But rebooting into the new system after installation fails.
Error message is:

Waiting for root filesystem ...
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/hda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Seems there are some modules missing. There are no ide related
modules loaded. I started the installer again and fired up
lsmod command at that point, when the disc is detected for
partitioning. This is the lsmod output at that time:

Module Size Used by
nls_cp437 5504 1
dm_mod 45384 0
vfat 8832 1
fat 39964 1 vfat
ext2 52616 0
mbcache 6656 1 ext2
sd_mod 21904 2
nls_utf8 1664 2
isofs 27684 1
nls_base 6528 5 nls_cp437,vfat,fat,nls_utf8,isofs
zlib_inflate 13952 1 isofs
ide_cd_mod 27524 1
cdrom 30112 1 ide_cd_mod
ide_disk 10368 0
ide_generic 2432 0 [permanent]
ide_core 94760 3 ide_cd_mod,ide_disk,ide_generic
usb_storage 75200 1
scsi_mod 129420 2 sd_mod,usb_storage
pcmcia 29484 0
firmware_class 6656 1 pcmcia
parport_pc 22308 0
fan 4100 0
parport 30152 1 parport_pc
floppy 47620 0
thermal 15004 0
ohci_hcd 18436 0
processor 27824 1 thermal
thermal_sys 10656 3 fan,thermal,processor
yenta_socket 20492 2
rsrc_nonstatic 9344 1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core 31760 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
usbcore 117104 3 usb_storage,ohci_hcd


So, at least ide_core, ide_disk, ide_generic are needed IMHO.

When starting the new system, I'm dropped to a busybox shell
because of this problem.
Executing "cat /proc/modules" from there gives this output:

floppy 47620 0 - Live 0xc3044000
ohci_hcd 18436 0 - Live 0xc301c000
usbcore 117616 2 ohci_hcd Live 0xc3058000
thermal 15132 0 - Live 0xc3023000
processor 28080 1 thermal Live 0xc3028000
fan 4100 - Live 0xc3015000
thermal_sys 10784 3 thermal,processor,fan Live 0xc3018000


As said before, there are all ide modules missing.

Additional info: I reported this on debian-boot and was asked,
if the kernel is given the argument 'all_generic_ide=1'.
Answer: yes, the kernel commandline (output
of "cat /proc/cmdline" from busybox shell) contains this:
root=/dev/hda1 ro all_generic_ide=1 quiet


/dev/hda1 is of course the right device (checked with debian
installer's rescue mode.)

Feel free to ask for more info...



Kind regards
Holger





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org








View this message in context: Re: Bug#507805: initramfs-tools: after installation with Lenny RC1, ide disc is not available because of missing modules

Sent from the debian-kernel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.