Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Jayen Ashar

Default packaging e1000e from intel

Hi,

I've found that the e1000e driver isn't up-to-date for some new hardware
our school has received. I'm trying to package it [properly], but I'm
having trouble finding instructions on packaging a kernel module. If
someone could look at what I tried (below) and tell me what I'm doing
wrong, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

* lspci to find hardware id (0x10de)
* google search to find hardware name (intel 82567LM-3)
* intel download search to find driver
*
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz&agr=&ProductID=3003&DwnldId=15817&s trOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

tar -zxvf e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz
cd e1000e-0.5.8.2/
cat > Makefile << end
default:
$(MAKE) -C src default
install:
$(MAKE) -C src install
end
dh_make -e jayen@science.unsw.edu.au -f ../e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz -s -p
e1000e

sed -i s/INSTALL_MOD_PATH/DESTDIR/ src/Makefile
fakeroot debian/rules binary

sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i e1000e_0.5.8.2-1_i386.deb

The main thing I'm uncomfortable with is the --force-overwrite, but I'm
also worried I'm using -s (single binary) instead of -k (kernel module)
with dh_make. What can I do to not make it so hacky?

--Jayen

--
Jayen Ashar
Technical Officer

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 12:36 +1100, Jayen Ashar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found that the e1000e driver isn't up-to-date for some new hardware
> our school has received. I'm trying to package it [properly], but I'm
> having trouble finding instructions on packaging a kernel module.

You should build the package in two stages. In the first stage you
build a "binary" package containing the source tarball, plus information
for module-assistant. In the second stage you use module-assistant to
build for a specific kernel version. Read the documentation for
module-assistant.

> If someone could look at what I tried (below) and tell me what I'm doing
> wrong, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> * lspci to find hardware id (0x10de)
> * google search to find hardware name (intel 82567LM-3)
> * intel download search to find driver
> *
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz&agr=&ProductID=3003&DwnldId=15817&s trOSs=&OSFullName=〈=eng
> tar -zxvf e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz
> cd e1000e-0.5.8.2/
> cat > Makefile << end
> default:
> $(MAKE) -C src default
> install:
> $(MAKE) -C src install
> end
> dh_make -e jayen@science.unsw.edu.au -f ../e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz -s -p
> e1000e
> sed -i s/INSTALL_MOD_PATH/DESTDIR/ src/Makefile
> fakeroot debian/rules binary
>
> sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i e1000e_0.5.8.2-1_i386.deb
>
> The main thing I'm uncomfortable with is the --force-overwrite, but I'm
> also worried I'm using -s (single binary) instead of -k (kernel module)
> with dh_make. What can I do to not make it so hacky?

Instead of overwriting the module that comes with the kernel, you should
install the replacement in /lib/modules/$(KVER)/updates (depmod
automatically gives this directory higher priority). You will probably
need to patch the makefile to do this.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If God had intended Man to program,

Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Vincent Danjean

Hi,

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Instead of overwriting the module that comes with the kernel, you should
> install the replacement in /lib/modules/$(KVER)/updates (depmod
> automatically gives this directory higher priority).

It is not the first time I heard about priority for directories in
/lib/modules/$(KVER). Do you know where I can find an authoritative
information ? I did not see anything in depmod(8) nor in modules.dep(5).

Regards,
Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone: +33 4 76 61 20 11 ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 04:43:47PM +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Instead of overwriting the module that comes with the kernel, you should
> > install the replacement in /lib/modules/$(KVER)/updates (depmod
> > automatically gives this directory higher priority).
>
> It is not the first time I heard about priority for directories in
> /lib/modules/$(KVER). Do you know where I can find an authoritative
> information ? I did not see anything in depmod(8) nor in modules.dep(5).

You'll have to read the source code.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Jayen Ashar

Instead of overwriting the module that comes with the kernel, you should
install the replacement in /lib/modules/$(KVER)/updates (depmod
automatically gives this directory higher priority).

It is not the first time I heard about priority for directories in
/lib/modules/$(KVER). Do you know where I can find an authoritative
information ? I did not see anything in depmod(8) nor in modules.dep(5).

You'll have to read the source code.

It's mentioned in depmod.conf(5).

--Jayen