Intent to NMU or help for an l10n upload of mkvmlinuz to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs
Dear Debian maintainer,
("oh no, not him again"...)
The mkvmlinuz Debian package, which you are the maintainer of, has
pending bug report(s) which include translation updates or fixes
for po-debconf, namely bug number 497530 (and maybe other similar bugs).
The i18n team is now hunting the very last bits of missing localization
and your package went on our radar. You may have uploaded recently but,
unfortunately for you, you then got *another* l10n bug report. We
really should prevent translators from translating..:-)
So, sorry for this, but the radar beeped at your package and here am I
with an NMU intent...:-)
In case you can't update your package, I hereby propose, as part
of a more general action of the Debian i18n Task Force to build and
possibly upload a non-maintainer upload for mkvmlinuz in order to fix
this as well as all pending translations for the debconf templates.
Of course, as you seem pretty active on that package, an upload by you
would also be OK...as long as it allows a round of translation
Such changes are always harmless, which explains why I safely consider
building NMU's for such issues even though they're obviously non critical.
The schedule for the NMU (in case it happens, that is if you agree with it
or if I don't receive any answer in 10 days) is roughly the following:
Saturday, November 15, 2008 : send this notice
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 : post a NMU announcement to debian-i18n with you
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 : deadline for receiving translation updates
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 : build the package and upload it to DELAYED/2-day
send the NMU patch to the BTS
Friday, November 28, 2008 : NMU reaches incoming
If you intent to upload yourself, please discuss with me. I propose
handling a translation update round and I can handle it myself for you.
That will just require a few days.
In case I upload an NMU, I will subscribe to the Package Tracking System for
mkvmlinuz and follow its life for 60 days after my NMU in order to fix
any issue potentially introduced by my upload.
Let me know, as soon as possible, if you have any kind of objection to this
If you'd rather do the fix yourself, I will of course leave the package
alone. Same if you have reasons not to do the update now.