Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Default Question about default partition layout

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 13:51 +0330, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:
> Hello All
> How is it possible to change the default partition layout (LVM) which
> anaconda uses to partition the hard disk?

You're asking the wrong question again.

"Where is the default LVM layout defined?"

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 AM
"Ali Majdzadeh"

Ignacio,
Hi
Thanks. So where is the default LVM layout defined?

Kind Regards
Ali Majdzadeh Kohbanani

Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
"Martin Langhoff"

2008/9/10 Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 13:51 +0330, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:
>> Hello All
>> How is it possible to change the default partition layout (LVM) which
>> anaconda uses to partition the hard disk?
>
> You're asking the wrong question again.
>
> "Where is the default LVM layout defined?"

I am sure every reader of this list can understand the original question.

Hi Ali - What you can do is to define the partition layout in a
kickstart file, and also set the kickstart file to 'interactive' so
that Anaconda reads the values from there. This works well for most
(all?) settings you can pass to kickstart.

This was discussed last week - more details in the list archives...

cheers,

martin.langhoff@gmail.com
martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions

Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 AM
John Summerfield

Martin Langhoff wrote:

How is it possible to change the default partition layout (LVM) which
anaconda uses to partition the hard disk?

You're asking the wrong question again.

"Where is the default LVM layout defined?"

I am sure every reader of this list can understand the original question.

However, it did beg the answer, "Yes."

Hi Ali - What you can do is to define the partition layout in a
kickstart file, and also set the kickstart file to 'interactive' so
that Anaconda reads the values from there. This works well for most
(all?) settings you can pass to kickstart.

This was discussed last week - more details in the list archives...

_I_ would install the relevant source rpm, run "rpmbuild -bp" and then
inspect the source.

Before changing it, I would copy it so as to be able to prepare a patch
using "diff -ur" and I'd update the spec file to apply the patch.

This works for pretty much any rpm.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM, John Summerfield
<debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> _I_ would install the relevant source rpm, run "rpmbuild -bp" and then
> inspect the source.

- you might be thinking of a different thread

The OP was asking of having a different default partitioning layout at
install time. In the anaconda world, it's done with kickstart. In
Debian FAI is your friend.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
"Ali Majdzadeh"

Martin,
Hello
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. The problem I am facing, is that I want to embed a new partition layout into anaconda to form a customized distribution. So, when users select to use the default partition layout, my customized layout will be used to partition the hard disk.

Kind Regards
Ali Majdzadeh Kohbanani

2008/9/11 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff@gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM, John Summerfield

<debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> _I_ would install the relevant source rpm, run "rpmbuild -bp" and then

> inspect the source.

*- you might be thinking of a different thread

The OP was asking of having a different default partitioning layout at

install time. In the anaconda world, it's done with kickstart. In

Debian FAI is your friend.

cheers,

*martin.langhoff@gmail.com

*martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect

*- ask interesting questions

*- don't get distracted with shiny stuff - working code first

*- http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
"Martin Langhoff"

2008/9/11 Ali Majdzadeh <ali.majdzadeh@gmail.com>:
> Thanks a lot for your suggestion. The problem I am facing, is that I want to
> embed a new partition layout into anaconda to form a customized
> distribution. So, when users select to use the default partition layout, my
> customized layout will be used to partition the hard disk.

I am doing _exactly the same_ :-) ... Include the KS file in your
distro, and change the isolinux menu to append ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg to the
"install or upgrade" entries... revisor has options to do it for you
(see man revisor). I think you can also dio it in Pungi's %post .

I've been asking questions around this problem for the last 2 weeks,
check the archives. For reference, here's the set of scripts and
configs I use: http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-livecd;a=summary
- even though it says livecd, I'm currently building installer cds.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 AM
John Summerfield

Martin Langhoff wrote:

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:01 PM, John Summerfield
_I_ would install the relevant source rpm, run "rpmbuild -bp" and then
inspect the source.

- you might be thinking of a different thread

The OP was asking of having a different default partitioning layout at
install time. In the anaconda world, it's done with kickstart. In
Debian FAI is your friend.

The default is what is used/proposed if the user doesn't make a
conscious choice. Use of ks implies a deliberative choice.

Your prescience may be better than mine, I'm addressing the question as
asked.

I've met Debian FAI. Assuredly, it's not _my_ friend.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:53 AM
"Ali Majdzadeh"

Martin,
Thanks a lot. I am going to give it a try. It is nice that your doing the same project.

Kind Regards
Ali Majdzadeh Kohbanani

1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu *Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu

Old 09-13-2008, 05:44 PM
"Ali Majdzadeh"

Martin,
Hello
Thanks a lot. Your suggested solution worked. By the way, as I mentioned while working with the kickstart file, if network configuration is not mentioned in the kickstart file, the default DHCP protocol is used to obtain IP addresses and the network configuration page is not shown. Is there anyway to force anaconda to show the network configuration page while leaving network configuration parameters missed in the kickstart file?

Kind Regards
Ali Majdzadeh Kohbanani