Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
maximilian attems

Default add multiple devices to initramfs.conf

[please ask such questions on mailing list and not privately ]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Mark Shaw wrote:

> Congratulations on a great work, my question is it possible to add multiple
> devices to initramfs.conf and if so what should the entry look like.
>
> examples:
> DEVICE=eth4, wlan0
> or
> DEVICE=eth4 wlan0
> or is the following possible:
> DEVICE=eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 wlan0
>
> in this case DEVICE=eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 wlan0 would a problem arise if
> no card was discovered or would there be a great time lag?

man initramfs-tools shows you the ip bootparam and has a hint where
it is docomentated aka Documetnation/nfs-root.txt in any linux-2.6
source. with the right combination it tries all available interfaces
no need to list them.

> Would adding wlan0 create a problem if no wireless network is found? Would
> it be possible to add a series of devices to have a generic config that
> could then be used by multiple installations in different hardware? Is the
> file initrd.img that is created portable to other hardware or when made in
> one hardware only adding components for that hardware? My interest in
> particular is if it is used on a USB stick and if there has to be other
> changes, such as a time lag to permit the USB stick be detected correctly?
> If command is given from a LIVE CD or DVD could the GRUB menu entry direct
> the system to the initrd.img on the DVD and the system on the USB? example:
>
> default 0
> timeout 20
> color cyan/blue white/blue
> foreground EE0000
> background 400000
> gfxmenu (cd)/boot/grub/message
>
> title USB
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash vga=791
> initrd (cd)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23
> boot
>
> or
>
> gfxmenu /boot/grub/message
> default 0
> timeout 15
> color cyan/blue white/blue
>
> title USB
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash vga=791
> initrd (cd)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23
> boot
>
> Thanks in advance for your great work and help,
>
> Mark Shaw

happy hacking

--
maks