FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Kernel

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
maximilian attems
 
Default Bug#448503: NFS client problem - writing with group-access fails

sorry for late reply, is that fixed in newer linux images
aka 2.6.24 or supported 2.6.25?

thanks for feedback

--
maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Ruediger Oberhage
 
Default Bug#448503: NFS client problem - writing with group-access fails

Dear Maximilan Attems,

> sorry for late reply,

thanks for your reply, anyhow.

> is that fixed in newer linux images
> aka 2.6.24 or supported 2.6.25?

no, not with any of the linux-kernel-versions I tried or
checked, since then, including the 'etchnhalf' version
of 2.6.24. I didn't try 2.6.25, yet, but I don't expect the
situation to change (automatically), see below.

> thanks for feedback

I did analyze the network protocol from a working version and the
non-working one, and the one difference that I find and thus make
responsible for this is, that an 'nfs' "V3 SETATTR" call

a) has an error reported in the TCP-section
{Checksum: 0xb43a [incorrect, should be 0x509e (maybe caused by
checksum offloading?)]}
in the non-working case, while it hasn't in the working one
and
b) in the nfs-payload section it modifies under 'new_attributes'
the size (setting it to zero) as well as
"mtime: set to server time"
in the non-working case,
while it only changes the size (to zero) in the working case
(and does not explicitely set the mtime-attribute there).

Fact is, I get an NFS3ERR_PERM answer to that client-call from the
server and am left with a zero-length file in the end!

I assume that b) is the actually culprit part. Now, I haven't read
the specs for nfs and thus can't really tell whether it is the
AIX nfs-server, that should allow that two attributes changing call,
or the Linux-Client, that shouldn't alter both attributes at once.
It workes perfectly the way it used to be and that SUN-code-derived
NFS's (IRIX, OPENSTEP, MacOS X) do. But, since Linux used to work
that way, too, a few kernel-versions in the past, even when it is
playing according to the book now, it would be nice to have an
option, so that it works with that server, too, because for us, it
is a nuissance at best and a catastrophe in the worst case.

On the other hand, it could be a real error the way it is now, and
then it should certainly be corrected.

Should you need any more information, I'll be glad to provide it
wherever I can.

Thanks for listening,
Ruediger Oberhage



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Moritz Muehlenhoff
 
Default Bug#448503: NFS client problem - writing with group-access fails

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 02:29:02PM +0200, Ruediger Oberhage wrote:
>
> I assume that b) is the actually culprit part. Now, I haven't read
> the specs for nfs and thus can't really tell whether it is the
> AIX nfs-server, that should allow that two attributes changing call,
> or the Linux-Client, that shouldn't alter both attributes at once.
> It workes perfectly the way it used to be and that SUN-code-derived
> NFS's (IRIX, OPENSTEP, MacOS X) do. But, since Linux used to work
> that way, too, a few kernel-versions in the past, even when it is
> playing according to the book now, it would be nice to have an
> option, so that it works with that server, too, because for us, it
> is a nuissance at best and a catastrophe in the worst case.
>
> On the other hand, it could be a real error the way it is now, and
> then it should certainly be corrected.
>
> Should you need any more information, I'll be glad to provide it
> wherever I can.

Could you try to reproduce this with 2.6.28-rc6 and report this
upstream at http://bugzilla.kernel.org if the problem still persists?

Cheers,
Moritz



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Ruediger Oberhage
 
Default Bug#448503: NFS client problem - writing with group-access fails

I'll try ...

> Could you try to reproduce this with 2.6.28-rc6 and report this
> upstream at http://bugzilla.kernel.org if the problem still
> persists?

... if I can get this linux-kernel compiled and installed within our
Debian (etchnhalf) installation. In our Debian repository, the newest
kernel I saw is a 2.6.26 version. Thus I cannot predict, if and how
quick I'll get a working build of version 2.6.28-rc6, but I'll try.

Best regards,
Ruediger Oberhage



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kernel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org